The flow-head and peformance graph for cetrifugal pumps

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving two centrifugal pumps pumping water through two parallel pipes to a tank. The goal is to determine the differences in pipe flow and power between using one pump and two pumps. Performance data and Darcy F are provided for the pumps, which are used to plot a H-Q and efficiency graph. The speaker explains their process of using a spreadsheet to plot the graph and calculate the pipe flow. They also mention the importance of Darcy F, which can be obtained from the Moody Diagram or the Colebrook equation. The conversation ends with the speaker clarifying that their project is focused on the difference in pipe flow between using one pump and two pumps.
waterskin7
http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp934%3Enu%3D333%3A%3E23%3A%3E2%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A76%3C89%3B698nu0mrj

check on the link above , it is my workings on spreadsheet and data given .
basic : i am being told , that two centrifugal pumps , diameter given , speed given , are pumping water , through two parallel pipes , to a tank , they want to know the difference of pipe flow and power between using 1 pump and 2 pumps . performance data and darcy f are given for the pumps , these are data to plot a H-Q and efficiency graph .

what i did on the spreadsheet , is plotting the graph , get the parabolic curve equation , workout the A B C representing the properties of the pump , work out the x value , square it , then the number = pipe flow .

so where do those other informations comes in ? i mean the dia , length , darcy f .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that the only differences between the two systems are the pumps themselves? Is that correct? If so, then what information can be used to determine the differences? What adjustments will need to be made?

Darcy is the pipe friction factor. You get this value from reading a chart or performing a calculation.

my apology , what i think my homework was asking is , the difference of pipe flow between using one pump and using two .

1. What is a flow-head performance graph for centrifugal pumps?

A flow-head performance graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the flow rate and the head (pressure) generated by a centrifugal pump. It is used to determine the operating point of the pump and its efficiency.

2. How is the flow-head performance graph created?

The flow-head performance graph is created by conducting experiments on the centrifugal pump to measure its flow rate and head at different operating conditions. These values are then plotted on a graph to create the performance curve.

3. What is the significance of the flow-head performance graph for centrifugal pumps?

The flow-head performance graph is important for selecting the right centrifugal pump for a specific application. It helps in determining the pump's efficiency, operating range, and maximum flow rate and head it can generate.

4. How can the flow-head performance graph be used to improve pump performance?

By analyzing the flow-head performance graph, engineers can identify the operating point at which the pump is most efficient and make adjustments to the system to operate the pump at that point. This can lead to improved pump performance and energy efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to using the flow-head performance graph for centrifugal pumps?

Yes, the flow-head performance graph is based on experimental data and may not accurately reflect the actual performance of the pump in real-world conditions. Other factors such as fluid properties and system design can also affect pump performance.