The formula for Thick-Edge Orifice

pratamahrs1990
Hi all,

I have some problem in my research about the thick-edge orifice formula. I can't find the influence of orifice length to the discharge.
I have found an online calculator for it but I can't find the formula derivation. Anybody can help me? Anybody have recommended literature?

The website for the online-calculator:
http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/

Attachments

• thick-edge orifice.JPG
    thick-edge orifice.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 472
Engineering news on Phys.org
I recommend you Google "orifice thickness to diameter ratio" where you will find some sources that address your subject

1. What is the formula for calculating the thickness of a thick-edge orifice?

The formula for calculating the thickness of a thick-edge orifice is: t = 0.99d + 0.025, where t is the thickness of the orifice and d is the diameter.

2. How is the formula for thick-edge orifice different from the formula for thin-edge orifice?

The formula for thick-edge orifice takes into account the rounding of the orifice edge, whereas the formula for thin-edge orifice assumes a sharp edge. This results in a slightly thicker orifice for the same diameter.

3. Can the formula for thick-edge orifice be used for all types of fluids?

Yes, the formula for thick-edge orifice can be used for all types of fluids as long as the orifice diameter is within the range of 0.25 to 0.8 inches.

4. How accurate is the formula for thick-edge orifice?

The formula for thick-edge orifice is considered to be accurate within 5% for most applications. However, for highly viscous fluids or large diameter orifices, the accuracy may decrease.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for thick-edge orifice?

The formula for thick-edge orifice should not be used for orifices with diameters less than 0.25 inches or greater than 0.8 inches. It also assumes a smooth and flat orifice plate and may not be accurate for non-standard shapes or surfaces.