The Future of Libraries: Hard Copies vs Digital

In summary, libraries are moving so quickly to digital that there are no longer extensive stacks of the classics that you can walk through and browse. This is because public libraries now have services that are available online, such as the information desk and the inter library lending service. Project Gutenberg has a vast collection of the classics where their copyrights have run out and the books are now in the public domain. So it’s just a matter of time for libraries to transform into something totally new perhaps more like a public forum to sit and discuss ideas, to study or just to reflect. Nostalgia aside; freely accessible printed books remain a cornerstone of informed public knowledge.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
From a thread in the Sci Fi section
harborsparrow said:
Unfortunately, libraries are moving so quickly to digital that there are no longer extensive stacks of the classics that you can walk through and browse.
Is this really true? I've been in some pretty impressive public libraries in the past (well, not in 2020). I have also been in some pretty lame libraries, finding nothing of interest. Either way, I have not noticed a transition to digital collections of books. How does that work? Do you borrow "kindle editions," or what?

I sure hope that the people who frequent libraries continue to treasure the "hard copies" and the stacks, for many reasons. The quote is in regards to surprise findings thanks to the serendipity of the book arrangement.

Likes Klystron and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t know about public libraries per se. They still exist with a combination of regular books and media. However, they also have things that are accessible online.

in addition, libraries provide a variety of services like the information desk and the inter library lending service where you can get access to books at other libraries.

however, I can see a time coming where most media will be available online only.

Project Gutenberg has a vast collection of the classics where their copyrights have run out and the books are now in the public domain. So it’s just a matter of time for libraries to transform into something totally new perhaps more like a public forum to sit and discuss ideas, to study or just to reflect.

The recent Time Machine movie explored that notion where they had a librarian avatar who was able to answer any question or show any book and summarize it for you.

gmax137 said:
I sure hope that the people who frequent libraries continue to treasure the "hard copies" and the stacks, for many reasons. The quote is in regards to surprise findings thanks to the serendipity of the book arrangement.
Nostalgia aside; freely accessible printed books remain a cornerstone of informed public knowledge. Like most intellectuals these days, I now read a majority of text online including STEM and professional publications, news, recreational reading, and even official documents. Aside from textbooks, recreational books seem most likely to remain physical, particularly at poolside during sunny weather not conducive to electronic media.

I still visit our public library 3-4 times a month where I enjoy browsing through stacks of hardcovers searching for the occasional gem; perhaps a new book by a favored author, an old book that I meant to read or a book read long enough in the past to be ready for a re-read. If libraries become entirely digital, I shall mourn and miss the opportunity to browse and sift through many tomes to savor the physical handheld embodiment of knowledge.

I read at least a few paragraphs from a physical book each night before falling asleep. E-books and kindle lack some necessary Zeitgeist supplied by paper and ink.

Likes Tom.G
Klystron said:
I still visit our public library 3-4 times a month
The public libraries here (Washoe County, Nevada) have been closed for almost a year now. I think you can order online and pickup, but that's hardly the same thing as enjoying a couple hours browsing the stacks...

• Sad
Likes Klystron and Astronuc
gmax137 said:
The public libraries here (Washoe County, Nevada) have been closed for almost a year now. I think you can order online and pickup, but that's hardly the same thing as enjoying a couple hours browsing the stacks...
Clark County, Nevada, libraries had outdoor return bins and curbside delivery of online checkouts in 2020 but are now open though with differences:
  • Proper masks must be worn by everyone throughout the library.
  • Queues are marked for required social distancing.
  • Security screens all incoming people for pandemic rules compliance.
  • Returned materials are placed in isolated bins without immediate processing.
  • The library waives overdue fees (within reason).
  • In person meetings and classes mainly occur electronically. Plays and film viewing in hiatus.
I have not viewed the changing art exhibits at Sahara West and Summerlin libraries recently but they are probably open under the latest guidelines from Governor Sisolak.

It may be that they will eventually be fully digital. But that hasn't happened yet. Our local library system works quite well, even adjusted for the pandemic. I actually canceled my Netflix subscription because so often they didn't have the movies I wanted to see, but my library did. And for free too.

At least we are fully paperless now. :-)

1. What is the future of libraries?

The future of libraries is constantly evolving, but it is clear that digital resources will play a major role. Libraries are transitioning from traditional hard copies to digital materials, making information more accessible and convenient for patrons.

2. Will libraries become completely digital?

It is unlikely that libraries will become completely digital in the near future. While there is a shift towards digital resources, many people still prefer physical books and materials. Libraries will likely continue to offer both options to cater to the needs and preferences of their patrons.

3. How will the transition to digital impact libraries?

The transition to digital resources will impact libraries in a number of ways. It will reduce the physical space needed to store materials, allowing for more flexible use of space. It will also require libraries to invest in technology and training for staff. Additionally, libraries will need to adapt their collection development strategies and policies to include more digital resources.

4. Will there still be a need for librarians in a digital age?

Yes, librarians will continue to play a crucial role in the digital age. While some tasks may become automated, librarians will still be needed to curate and organize digital materials, assist with research and information literacy, and provide guidance and support to patrons.

5. How will the shift to digital impact access to information for underserved communities?

The shift to digital resources has the potential to increase access to information for underserved communities. With the ability to access digital materials remotely, people in rural or low-income areas will have more equal access to information. However, it is important for libraries to address the digital divide and ensure that all communities have access to the necessary technology and resources to take advantage of digital materials.