• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Main Question or Discussion Point

I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

IMG_3169.JPG

Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).

You could hear crickets after I explained that, and then followed by "oooohhh....." before they walked away shaking their heads.

Which meant that I just HAD to buy the shirt!

I wonder how many of the planetarium guests had the same puzzled look when they saw the shirt. Maybe that's why the shirt was on SALE! :)

Zz.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Which meant that I just HAD to buy the shirt!
Yep.

berkeman
Mentor
You could hear crickets after I explained that, and then followed by "oooohhh....." before they walked away shaking their heads.
LOL. At least you tried!

I saw this t-shirt in my FaceBook feed yesterday, and got a good laugh out of it. At least EEs and Physicists can appreciate it... :smile:

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1280778-resistance-is-futile?utm_source=paid_search&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=tshirt-unisex&feed_sku=1280778D1V&&utm_source=paid_search&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=SmartPLA&ar_clx=yes&ar_channel=adwords&ar_campaign=smart_shopping&ar_adgroup=Smart-Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwwtTmBRBqEiwA-b6c_3ZfaAydSdsHBHc3n1oErkzQzpO7v11TQ2heiF7WtlHKcqHN4l2EjxoCtdUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

View attachment 243290

Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).
And they used the vector expression, which somehow makes it even geekier.

Here's a wacky (and yes - appallingly precocious!) T-shirt idea I thought of and my sister-in-law actually designed. It goes with the Insights article I wrote on the Balmer Alpha line. The pots at the top are the family's unflattering opinion of me!

T-shirt Design.jpg

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Where is the model showing off the 1963 shirt now? Probably close to 77 years old...

And what is a "'snow' gift"?

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"'snow' gift"?
"Snow," transitive slang verb; to "blitz," as in "snow under" with erudition.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
https://www.cafepress.com/+bobs_school_of_quantum_mechanics_bbq_apron,64349543
1579649857267.png

1579649841701.png

When I was a summer student at Fermilab, I found this "ad" for "Bob's School of Quantum Mechanics" (i think it's originally from the "Purdue Engineering Magazine")... i think it was on someone's wall. So, I photocopied it... then later scanned it and digitally touched up what I could. I made a copy available on my university website when I was in grad school. I see it has made the rounds... and is now in someone's CafePress store.
(Someone must have a higher quality copy... maybe someone at Purdue can look though old issues of the magazine.)