Char. Limit
Gold Member
- 1,222
- 23
mheslep said:False.
False.
Care to qualify those assertions?
mheslep said:False.
False.
No. Start with the thousand words or so of assertions in #447 and #449.Char. Limit said:Care to qualify those assertions?
mheslep said:False.
False.
mheslep said:That's anarchy and no Reagan never suggested such. I think you mean:
That government is best which governs not at all - http://www.bartleby.com/73/753.html" , Civil Disobedience.
Ronald Reagan said:If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is. Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy. I believe there are legitimate government functions. There is a legitimate need in an orderly society for some government to maintain freedom or we will have tyranny by individuals. The strongest man on the block will run the neighborhood. We have government to ensure that we don’t each one of us have to carry a club to defend ourselves. But again, I stand on my statement that I think that libertarianism and conservatism are traveling the same path.
Even if you thought him a "clown", you have to admit he was (almost) right on target with that one.nismaratwork said:In fact, much as I personally think he was a clown, he specifically adressed the issue of the balance between government and anarchy.Ronald Reagan said:If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is. Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy. I believe there are legitimate government functions. There is a legitimate need in an orderly society for some government to maintain freedom or we will have tyranny by individuals. The strongest man on the block will run the neighborhood. We have government to ensure that we don’t each one of us have to carry a club to defend ourselves. But again, I stand on my statement that I think that libertarianism and conservatism are traveling the same path.
Al68 said:Even if you thought him a "clown", you have to admit he was (almost) right on target with that one.![]()
Al68 said:Much as it pains me I do agree with much of that particular quote; specifically the distinction between what it is to be Libertarian, and an Anarchist.
Such misnomers are still standing in the way of legitimate debate in many cases, including in this forum. Not to mention the incessant practice of deliberately sabotaging legitimate debate with misleading figurative speech, hyperbole, ad hominem attacks, fallacious premises, etc.
I would only disagree with his using the word libertarian to include anarchists, since libertarians, unlike anarchists, certainly believe protecting liberty is the legitimate function of government.
As far as being a clown, I'd say Reagan was about the tenth clowniest President we've had in the last 50 years.![]()
Char. Limit said:Care to qualify those assertions?
Ivan Seeking said:Three of the primary reasons for the collapse were, black market derivatives trading, which led to the banking collapse, exotic home loans, which created a housing bubble, and loan bundling, which undermined accountability. These problems were the result of unregulated markets, or unregulated activities in regulated marktets.
The only fault one can lay on the government was a failure to regulate these markets. Much of that blame, in regards to the banking collapse, lands squarely in the lap of Greenspan, and he is the first one to admit that. He publically admits that his polices were flawed. His philosophy failed - the collapse should not have been possible. Greenspan was highly influential in the evolution of Reaganomics, and a key player in determining our economic policies since Reagan. In turn, he adhered to a modern libertarinism based on the works of his mentor, Ayn Rand, which are the bases for the political positions of the tea party - as Reagan would say, the best government is no government. I would add that thirty years of supply-side econonics have led to a debt-to-gdp ratio out of control. Beginning with Reagan, our debt-to-gdp ratio has grown from about 40%, to about 90%, with only a small percentage of that added by Obama, and that during an historic economic crisis brought upon us by the principles underlying the Republican economic platform. Therefore, the tea party is DOA, and the Republicans have a lot of soul-searching to do. The Republicans no longer have a viable economic philosophy.
Galteeth said:It is ludicrous to suggest that the government had no role in the housing market collapse.
Just for starters, I'll point to the easy money that fueled the bubble (Greenspan and the Federal Reserve,) and the price inflation backed by Fannie and Freddie's unspoken guarantee.
Wikipedia said:Argument from incredulity / Lack of imagination
Arguments from incredulity take the form:
1. P is too incredible (or I can't imagine how P could possibly be true) therefore P must be false.
2. It's obvious that P (or I can't imagine how P could possibly be false) therefore P must be true.
These arguments are similar to arguments from ignorance in that they too ignore and do not properly eliminate the possibility that something can be both incredible and still be true, or obvious and yet still be false.
Char. Limit said:It's even more ludicrous to suggest that members of this forum don't need to back up their assertions because they seem so obvious.
You're using that.
You seem to be operating under the assumption that the PF https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=113181" call for "2) Citations of sources ..." only when requested. They do not, even if that's a common used courtesy to requests made in good faith.nismaratwork said:Cite or source? I've read a lot of your posts, and this is one of your most common requests. Rules are the rules after all... you can report Ivan for the same issue if you feel like it, but that doesn't give you the right to do the same thing does it?...
mheslep said:You seem to be operating under the assumption that the PF https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=113181" call for "2) Citations of sources ..." only when requested. They do not, even if that's a common used courtesy to requests made in good faith.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2413001&postcount=213Char. Limit said:Care to qualify those assertions?
Indeed.Char. Limit said:It's even more ludicrous to suggest that members of this forum don't need to back up their assertions because they seem so obvious.
mheslep said:Evidence?Ivan Seeking said:Keep in mind that a normal recession turned disasterous because of the hidden CDS losses, and reckless lending practices..
Phrak said:Good question. Googling names of institutions along with Credit Default Swaps might do it...mheslep said:Evidence?
Ivan Seeking said:It couldn't have been a serious question. We have had tons of information about this. [...]Phrak said:Good question. Googling names of institutions along with Credit Default Swaps might do it.
mheslep said:https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2413001&postcount=213
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884163&postcount=22
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884232&postcount=28
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884639&postcount=31
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1895520&postcount=105
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1898191&postcount=140
mheslep said:https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2413001&postcount=213
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884163&postcount=22
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884232&postcount=28
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1884639&postcount=31
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1895520&postcount=105
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1898191&postcount=140
edward said:THE HOUSE OF CARDS
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1145392808&play=1
How are these videos related to the Tea Party?? My own relatives who are Tea Party members refuse to watch them.
That's why I didn't bother denying he was a clown, but I think Iran Contra was an obvious exception to the rest of his 8 years, instead of a representative sample. Of course our definition of "clown" is probably quite different, too.nismaratwork said:Mmmmm... I'd say he was a pretty big clown, with getting busted for Iran Contra being a real "pants around the ankles" moment. Granted, he now has to contend with Clinton "my pants really ARE around my ankles", and Bush W. "Me no speak real good", but it's amazing the man lasted 2 terms.
Ivan Seeking said:The only fault one can lay on the government was a failure to regulate these markets.
I would add that thirty years of supply-side econonics have led to a debt-to-gdp ratio out of control. Beginning with Reagan, our debt-to-gdp ratio has grown from about 40%, to about 90%, with only a small percentage of that added by Obama, and that during an historic economic crisis brought upon us by the principles underlying the Republican economic platform.
The Republicans no longer have a viable economic philosophy.
nismaratwork said:Mmmmm... I'd say he was a pretty big clown, with getting busted for Iran Contra being a real "pants around the ankles" moment.
Granted, he now has to contend with Clinton "my pants really ARE around my ankles",
and Bush W. "Me no speak real good", but it's amazing the man lasted 2 terms.
Ivan Seeking said:...one of the few times that Rove and I agreed on something. But he clearly sees the threat to the party here. The R party is having the human equivalent of a mental breakdown.
This has been coming for a long time. I think the fringe right will separate from the moderates and fade into oblivion. Right now there is a clear insurgency in which all but the purists are purged from the party. This is not sustainable so it has to fail. I just hope we don't see too many tea party types elected before this happens. Unfortunately, right now, the irrational fringe is bolstered by the anger caused by the lagging employment recovery. We have created a tremendous amount of wealth since the collapse [over 50% growth in the Dow, with pressure to break the 11,000 mark again], and that wealth eventually has to manifest generally, but until the job situation improves, the fringe has a hook.
And, sooner or later, the fact that the R economic platform has fundamentally failed, must come home to roost. The tea partiers are arguing for policies proven not to work. For example, they are angry about the collapse but want less government. That is irrational. One of the main reasons for the collapse was too little oversight by the government. It was proof that a free market left to run amok, is capable of destroying the global economy.
Maybe not brilliant, but read some of his voluminous supply of letters and he comes off as really quite sharp, at least a man of the pen (several thousand letters).CAC1001 said:Reagan wasn't a clown. He was a man who had been fighting communism since the late 1940s. However he wasn't brilliant either and has been too much sainted by the Republican party.
Worse than being inevitably behind the curve in expertise is influence by those they are supposed to regulate. AKA going native, in economics it earns the name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture"What makes you think government regulators would have been able to understand how to reduce risks when the big financial firms themselves didn't understand this? Wall Street itself didn't realize what it was doing
To my understanding Bush tax cuts qualify (esp. capital gains), slightly in comparison to Reagan's.Following "supply-side economics" led to us having a surplus in the late 1990s. We did not adhere to supply-side during the 2000s much.
Agreed, but nothing like the present, 2010, definition of 'big'.We engaged in big government.
Yes, just the opposite, war spending is demand side.One could argue the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan contributed to the deficit and debt, but those are not supply-side economics.
mheslep said:To my understanding Bush tax cuts...
mheslep said:Jumping in CAC:
Maybe not brilliant, but read some of his voluminous supply of letters and he comes off as really quite sharp, at least a man of the pen (several thousand letters).
reagan said:When the Nashua Telegraph offered to sponsor a debate between the two of us on the Saturday evening preceding the election, we both accepted. Understandably, this brought howls from the other candidates. In protest, one of them, Senator Bob Dole, complained to the Federal Elections Commission that by financing a debate between only two of the seven candidates, the newspaper was making an illegal campaign contribution to the Bush and Reagan campaigns. The commission agreed with him, so my campaign offered to pay the full cost of the debate - a few thousand dollars - and they accepted.
I thought it had been unfair to exclude the other candidates from the debate. Most of them were also campaigning in New Hampshire that weekend, and since we were now sponsoring and paying for it, I decided to invite them to join the debate. Four of the other candidates - Bob Dole, Howard Baker, John Anderson, and Phil Crane (John Connally was campaigning elsewhere) - accepted. When we walked on to a platform set up for the debate at the Nashua High School gymnasium Saturday night, there was one table, two chairs, and six candidates. When he spotted the four other candidates, Jim Baker, George Bush's campaign manager, protested and said George would not participate in the debate as long as they were part of it. Since I had invited them, I couldn't go along with him and exclude the other candidates, so we were at an awkward impasse. George just sat frozen in his chair, not saying anything; I sat in the other chair with the four other candidates standing behind me, looking embarrassed in front of two or three thousand people while being literally told they had to leave.
Unable to understand what was going on, the audience hooted and hollered an urged us to proceed. I decided I should explain to the crowd what the delay was all about and started to speak. As I did, an editor of the Nashua newspaper shouted to the sound man, "Turn Mr. Reagan's microphone off." Well, I didn't like that - we were paying the freight for the debate and he was acting as if his newspaper was still sponsoring it. I turned to him, with the microphone still on, and said the first thing that came to my mind: "I am paying for this microphone, Mr. Breen." Well, for some reason my words hit the audience, whose emotions were already worked up, like a sledgehammer. The crowd roared and just went wild. I may have won the debate, the primary - and the nomination - right there.
BobG said:Today's Tea Party seems to have taken all of this to the extreme. Strip out all semblance of anything even resembling intelligence and just focus on emotion - especially the emotion of "The establishment sucks!". It's practically the Republican equivalent of the hippie movement.
Ivan Seeking said:I consider every step forward for the Tea Party, and every primary Republican win for so-called grassroots leaders who appeal in particular to the tea drinkers, to be just more nails in the coffin for the GOP. While the Tea Party wants to claim the Independents, and while they help to fuel the anti-incumbent fervor, in fact, I think the entire movement is based on superficial claims - pandering to irrational fears and anger. The tea drinkers represent the death rattle of a failed conservative party. The Republicans cannot afford to embrace the Tea Party favorites, and they can't afford not to. Either choice means certain death for the foreseeable future.
I had to laugh when I saw that, just after winning the the Republican nomination, Tea Party favorite Rand Paul, caused the Republicans to run for cover. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/us/politics/21paul.html?ref=politics
Please do tell us more, Mr. Paul. I am dying to hear all about it!
That still misses the Paul's point, which is, does the federal government have the authority to makeDembadon said:I think that question is a bit loaded. It's perfectly okay to allow private businesses to refuse service to whomever they want. The basis for the refusal, however, is the important element.
In other words; should private businesses be allowed to refuse service to a black person? Absolutely. Should service be refused because that person is black? Absolutely not. Mr. Paul should have resolved any ambiguity in his response.