1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The gravitational force of energy

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Energy gravitates. Is is so simple as to replace M in gravitational euqations with E/c*c ?

F=[itex]\frac{G*M\underline{1}*M\underline{2}}{DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]=F=[itex]\frac{G*E\underline{1}*E\underline{2}}{c\overline{4}*DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

anorlunda

Whoops, forgive me for screwing up the latex. I clicked on post too early.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Wouldn't you just replace it with E after finding the equivalent energy content for an objects mass?

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4
    If it's internal energy, e.g. heat or chemical, yes it is that simple. I'm not sure about kinetic energy though. Especially when the object's velocity is close to c.

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    For kinetic energy, I believe the answer lies in the Einstein field equations, but I don't know how to solve the Weyl curvature. But, there is a frame dragging effect from a moving mass, which creates a gravity which isn't radial. There's a formal analogy to magnetism, called gravitoelectromagnetism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism, which might answer your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook