The gravitational force of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
11,327
Reaction score
8,758
Energy gravitates. Is is so simple as to replace M in gravitational euqations with E/c*c ?

F=[itex]\frac{G*M\underline{1}*M\underline{2}}{DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]=F=[itex]\frac{G*E\underline{1}*E\underline{2}}{c\overline{4}*DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't you just replace it with E after finding the equivalent energy content for an objects mass?
 
If it's internal energy, e.g. heat or chemical, yes it is that simple. I'm not sure about kinetic energy though. Especially when the object's velocity is close to c.
 
For kinetic energy, I believe the answer lies in the Einstein field equations, but I don't know how to solve the Weyl curvature. But, there is a frame dragging effect from a moving mass, which creates a gravity which isn't radial. There's a formal analogy to magnetism, called gravitoelectromagnetism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism, which might answer your question.