The Hamiltonian elements in Anderson dimer

• I
  • Thread starter hokhani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary, in the system with two orbitals, the Hamiltonian has two matrix elements that are equal but preceded by a minus sign.
hokhani
TL;DR Summary
I don't know the occur of - sign in some elements of the Hamiltonian
In a system with two orbitals ##c## and ##d## (each with two spin degrees of freedom), consider the Hamiltonian ##H=V(d^{\dagger}_{\uparrow} c_{\uparrow} + c^{\dagger}_{\uparrow}d_{\uparrow}+d^{\dagger}_{\downarrow} c_{\downarrow} + c^{\dagger}_{\downarrow}d_{\downarrow})##. Also suppose that the many body states are indexed as ##|n_{d_{\uparrow}}, n_{d_{\downarrow}}, n_{c_{\uparrow}} , n_{c_{\downarrow}}\rangle## where ##n## shows the occupation number of each spin-orbital.
As mentioned in the literature, ##\langle1001|H|1100\rangle=V## and ##\langle0110|H|1100\rangle=-V##. However, according to my calculations, ##H|1100\rangle=V(|0110\rangle+|1001\rangle)## which gives ##V## for the two matrix elements ##\langle1001|H|1100\rangle## and ##\langle 0110|H|1100\rangle##. I would like to know where my calculations goes wrong! Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a citation to an example of the literature you refer to?

Haborix said:
Can you provide a citation to an example of the literature you refer to?
Of course. In the following virtual lecture on youtube at the minute 52 (the blue text):

The Hamiltonian is written in the subspace ##Q=2, S_z=0## and I am only interested in the difference between the arrays ##H_{1,3}## and ##H_{2,3}## so I neglected the other terms of the Hamiltonian in my main post.

I think you've probably just gotten the order of the basis vectors mixed up. I get ##H|1100\rangle=V(-|0110\rangle+|1001\rangle)+(2\epsilon+U)|1100\rangle##. In the notation of the video I can represent ##|1100\rangle## as $$\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}.$$

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood your question. Are you essentially asking how to get the matrix representation of the Hamiltonian?

Last edited:
Haborix said:
I think you've probably just gotten the order of the basis vectors mixed up. I get ##H|1100\rangle=V(-|0110\rangle+|1001\rangle)+(2\epsilon+U)|1100\rangle##. In the notation of the video I can represent ##|1100\rangle## as $$\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}.$$

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood your question. Are you essentially asking how to get the matrix representation of the Hamiltonian?
Thank you so much for your attention. Could you please explain how did you obtain ##c^{\dagger}_{\uparrow} d_{\uparrow} |1100 \rangle =- |0110 \rangle##? In other words, my question is about the appearance of the minus sign.
EDIT: Your answer is quite to the point and I am lookig for the reason for the minus sign.

Last edited:

1. What are the Hamiltonian elements in Anderson dimer?

The Hamiltonian elements in Anderson dimer refer to the terms in the Hamiltonian equation that describe the interactions between the two atoms in an Anderson dimer system. These elements include the kinetic energy, potential energy, and the coupling between the two atoms.

2. How do the Hamiltonian elements affect the behavior of the Anderson dimer?

The Hamiltonian elements play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the Anderson dimer system. They determine the energy levels, stability, and dynamics of the system. Changes in the Hamiltonian elements can lead to different behaviors such as localization or delocalization of the atoms.

3. Can the Hamiltonian elements be manipulated to control the behavior of the Anderson dimer?

Yes, the Hamiltonian elements can be manipulated through external factors such as temperature, pressure, or magnetic fields. By changing these elements, the behavior of the Anderson dimer can be controlled, allowing for potential applications in quantum computing and other fields.

4. How are the Hamiltonian elements calculated in an Anderson dimer system?

The Hamiltonian elements can be calculated using mathematical models and equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. These calculations take into account the properties of the two atoms in the Anderson dimer and their interactions.

5. What are the implications of the Hamiltonian elements in Anderson dimer for other systems?

The study of the Hamiltonian elements in Anderson dimer can provide insights into the behavior of other systems, such as molecules and solids. This is because the Hamiltonian equation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to various systems to understand their behavior and properties.