The idea of the universe repeating itself is troubling me

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkFalz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Idea Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
DarkFalz
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
I've recently read some posts about the universe repeating itself, or even the possibility of some states of the universe repeating themselves and it troubles me. I can't cope with the idea that someday i may go to the street and find today equal to yesterday or to some other day. This would seem impossible at first because everyone ages from day to day, but is there a way to prove that it is physically impossible for such as situation to happen? Given the enormos amount of physical transformations that occur each day it seems unlikely that a previous state of Earth could be restored.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ignore posts that speculate on the universe repeating itself.

In the 20675 days I've been in this life, I've never seen a day repeat itself, nor an hour, minute or second.
 
DarkFalz said:
I've recently read some posts about the universe repeating itself, or even the possibility of some states of the universe repeating themselves and it troubles me.
From where did you read that?

------------------------

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2703
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Ignore posts that speculate on the universe repeating itself.

In the 20675 days I've been in this life, I've never seen a day repeat itself, nor an hour, minute or second.

Is it provable still?
 
But can the whole topic be considered philosophy? Is there something in the current physics theories that dictate the impossibility of such happening?
 
Is this the scenario you are interested in?

The Big Bang was the beginning of the universe as we know it, most scientists say. But was it the first beginning, and will it be the last?

A popular picture of the early universe imagines a single Big Bang, after which space blew up quickly like a giant bubble. But another theory posits that we live in a universe of 11 dimensions, where all particles are actually made of tiny vibrating strings. This could create a universe stuck in a cycle of Big Bangs and Big Crunches, due to repeat on loop.

Which scenario is closer to the truth remains to be seen, but scientists say new experiments underway could provide more answers soon.

http://www.space.com/8066-big-bang-solid-theory-mysteries-remain.html

I've read that the "cyclic universe" has been debunked, which points back to Astronuc's post above.
 
Last edited:
I was considered smaller scope situation. My question is if it is possible for a set of particles, for instance ALL of Earth particles to rearrange themselves once more in the same configuration that they were, for instance, in the Medieval time, without a new big bang occurring meanwhile. Like in 1000 years all of Earth's particles rearranging themselves in the same manner they were in 1658 for instance.
 
DarkFalz said:
My question is if it is possible for a set of particles, for instance ALL of Earth particles to rearrange themselves once more in the same configuration that they were, for instance, in the Medieval time, without a new big bang occurring meanwhile. Like in 1000 years all of Earth's particles rearranging themselves in the same manner they were in 1658 for instance.

This will never occur. Have you see anyone from A.D 1014 recently?
According to you, this battle happened recently

Also see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_(fiction )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DarkFalz said:
I was considered smaller scope situation. My question is if it is possible for a set of particles, for instance ALL of Earth particles to rearrange themselves once more in the same configuration that they were, for instance, in the Medieval time, without a new big bang occurring meanwhile. Like in 1000 years all of Earth's particles rearranging themselves in the same manner they were in 1658 for instance.

I can easily calculate the probability. Zero.
 
ZombieFeynman said:
I can easily calculate the probability. Zero.

How?
 
DarkFalz said:
How?

If you are 100% sure that an even will occur, the probability is ##1##. If you are 100% sure that the event will Not occur, the probability is ##0##
 
Thanks all for participating, the question has been answered.