1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##

The attempt at a solution

Suppose ##I \subset \mathbb Q[X]## is an ideal with an element ##p(x) \neq 0##. Since ##\mathbb Q[X]## is an euclidean domain (the function ##degree(f)## is an euclidean function), then ##\mathbb Q[X]## is a principal ideal domain. This means that ##I## can be generated by an element. Now, since ##I## is an ideal, in particular is a subgroup under addition, so ##-p(x), np(x) \in I## for ##n \in \mathbb Z##.

I am not so sure what to do next. I got stuck here, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As you noted, ##\mathbb{Q}[x]## is a principal ideal domain. Therefore every ideal is of the form ##(p(x))## for some polynomial ##p(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]##.

So the question is how to identify when two polynomials ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## generate the same ideal. Suppose that ##p(x) \in (q(x))## and ##q(x) \in (p(x))##. This means that ##p(x) = q(x)r(x)## and ##q(x) = p(x)s(x)## for some polynomials ##r(x)## and ##s(x)##. Then ##p(x) = p(x)s(x)r(x)##, which we can rearrange as
    $$p(x)(1 - s(x)r(x)) = 0$$
    Keeping in mind that we are working in a domain, what can you conclude from this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted