The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##

• Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date
In summary, we are asked to find all ideals of ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##, a principal ideal domain. Every ideal is generated by a single polynomial. To identify when two polynomials generate the same ideal, we can use the fact that in a domain, if a product is equal to zero, one of the factors must be zero.
mahler1
Homework Statement

Find all the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##

The attempt at a solution

Suppose ##I \subset \mathbb Q[X]## is an ideal with an element ##p(x) \neq 0##. Since ##\mathbb Q[X]## is an euclidean domain (the function ##degree(f)## is an euclidean function), then ##\mathbb Q[X]## is a principal ideal domain. This means that ##I## can be generated by an element. Now, since ##I## is an ideal, in particular is a subgroup under addition, so ##-p(x), np(x) \in I## for ##n \in \mathbb Z##.

I am not so sure what to do next. I got stuck here, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

As you noted, ##\mathbb{Q}[x]## is a principal ideal domain. Therefore every ideal is of the form ##(p(x))## for some polynomial ##p(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]##.

So the question is how to identify when two polynomials ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## generate the same ideal. Suppose that ##p(x) \in (q(x))## and ##q(x) \in (p(x))##. This means that ##p(x) = q(x)r(x)## and ##q(x) = p(x)s(x)## for some polynomials ##r(x)## and ##s(x)##. Then ##p(x) = p(x)s(x)r(x)##, which we can rearrange as
$$p(x)(1 - s(x)r(x)) = 0$$
Keeping in mind that we are working in a domain, what can you conclude from this?

What are the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##?

The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## are the subsets of ##\mathbb Q[X]## that satisfy certain properties such as closure under addition, closure under multiplication by elements of ##\mathbb Q[X]##, and containing the zero element.

How are the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## related to the ring ##\mathbb Q[X]##?

The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## are subrings of ##\mathbb Q[X]## that are closed under multiplication by all elements of ##\mathbb Q[X]##. This means that they are important for understanding the structure and properties of ##\mathbb Q[X]##.

What is the significance of the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## in abstract algebra?

The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## play a crucial role in the study of abstract algebra, particularly in the field of ring theory. They help to classify and characterize rings, and are used to prove important theorems such as the Isomorphism Theorems.

How are the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## different from the ideals of other rings?

The ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## have some unique properties that make them different from the ideals of other rings. For example, since ##\mathbb Q[X]## is a field, all of its ideals are either the zero ideal or the entire ring. This is different from other rings where there may be multiple non-trivial ideals.

What are some practical applications of understanding the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]##?

Understanding the ideals of ##\mathbb Q[X]## has practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and coding theory. They are also important in number theory and algebraic geometry, as they provide a way to study and classify algebraic structures.