The importance of a good school for your BS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ulyaoth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    School
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Ulyaoth
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
My biggest regret is I didn't take school seriously in high school, so had to go to a not so great state university(SUNY Farmingdale in case you're wondering). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but started in the mechanical engineering program anyway, but in the 2 year program. Being I didn't do great in high school, I had to take remedial math classes my first 2 years and that set me back further, so that now I'm in my 5th semester and my next I will finally be ready to get my Associates degree.

Question is should I, or should I just switch to a bachelor's and finish up here(I took a couple classes towards the BS already to stay a full time student, so after next semester I would only need 3 semesters to finish the BS, so not too far behind) my gpa is about a 3, should go up this semester a bit.

Also found I like physics a lot and actually considered switching majors or doing a double major, but then I would have to change schools and I'm sure to do both or switch would put me behind and just wondering if it'd be better to do more physics stuff in grad school.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ulyaoth said:
My biggest regret is I didn't take school seriously in high school, so had to go to a not so great state university(SUNY Farmingdale in case you're wondering). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but started in the mechanical engineering program anyway, but in the 2 year program. Being I didn't do great in high school, I had to take remedial math classes my first 2 years and that set me back further, so that now I'm in my 5th semester and my next I will finally be ready to get my Associates degree.

Question is should I, or should I just switch to a bachelor's and finish up here(I took a couple classes towards the BS already to stay a full time student, so after next semester I would only need 3 semesters to finish the BS, so not too far behind) my gpa is about a 3, should go up this semester a bit.

Also found I like physics a lot and actually considered switching majors or doing a double major, but then I would have to change schools and I'm sure to do both or switch would put me behind and just wondering if it'd be better to do more physics stuff in grad school.


I'm glad to hear you're determined to overcome your lack of effort in high school. You'll probably want to consider the specific costs and locations of your choices. You might also want to visit the schools you're considering and talk to people familiar with their programs? On the other hand, you're in the home stretch and know what you need to do to finish.

Happy Holidays!