The importance of a good school for your BS?

• Thread starter Ulyaoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the speaker regrets not taking school seriously in high school and had to attend a lower-ranked university as a result. They started in a mechanical engineering program but struggled with remedial math classes and are now in their 5th semester. They are considering switching to a bachelor's degree, which would only require 3 more semesters, or possibly switching to a double major in physics. They are concerned about the potential setbacks and costs associated with these options and are wondering if it would be better to focus on physics in grad school.
Ulyaoth
My biggest regret is I didn't take school seriously in high school, so had to go to a not so great state university(SUNY Farmingdale in case you're wondering). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but started in the mechanical engineering program anyway, but in the 2 year program. Being I didn't do great in high school, I had to take remedial math classes my first 2 years and that set me back further, so that now I'm in my 5th semester and my next I will finally be ready to get my Associates degree.

Question is should I, or should I just switch to a bachelor's and finish up here(I took a couple classes towards the BS already to stay a full time student, so after next semester I would only need 3 semesters to finish the BS, so not too far behind) my gpa is about a 3, should go up this semester a bit.

Also found I like physics a lot and actually considered switching majors or doing a double major, but then I would have to change schools and I'm sure to do both or switch would put me behind and just wondering if it'd be better to do more physics stuff in grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ulyaoth said:
My biggest regret is I didn't take school seriously in high school, so had to go to a not so great state university(SUNY Farmingdale in case you're wondering). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but started in the mechanical engineering program anyway, but in the 2 year program. Being I didn't do great in high school, I had to take remedial math classes my first 2 years and that set me back further, so that now I'm in my 5th semester and my next I will finally be ready to get my Associates degree.

Question is should I, or should I just switch to a bachelor's and finish up here(I took a couple classes towards the BS already to stay a full time student, so after next semester I would only need 3 semesters to finish the BS, so not too far behind) my gpa is about a 3, should go up this semester a bit.

Also found I like physics a lot and actually considered switching majors or doing a double major, but then I would have to change schools and I'm sure to do both or switch would put me behind and just wondering if it'd be better to do more physics stuff in grad school.

I'm glad to hear you're determined to overcome your lack of effort in high school. You'll probably want to consider the specific costs and locations of your choices. You might also want to visit the schools you're considering and talk to people familiar with their programs? On the other hand, you're in the home stretch and know what you need to do to finish.

Happy Holidays!

What is the significance of attending a good school for my BS?

Attending a good school for your BS can greatly impact your future career opportunities. A reputable school often has top-notch faculty, resources, and connections that can enhance your learning experience and better prepare you for the workforce.

How does a good school contribute to the quality of education for my BS?

A good school typically has a rigorous curriculum and high academic standards, which can challenge and motivate students to excel. Additionally, a good school may offer opportunities for hands-on learning, research projects, and internships that can further enhance the quality of education.

Does the reputation of a school affect my BS degree?

The reputation of a school can play a significant role in the value of your BS degree. Employers often consider the prestige and ranking of a school when evaluating job candidates. A degree from a highly regarded school can also open doors to graduate programs and other post-grad opportunities.

What resources are available at a good school to help me succeed in my BS program?

A good school typically provides a variety of resources to support students' academic success. This can include tutoring services, study groups, writing centers, career services, and more. These resources can be instrumental in helping students achieve their academic goals.

How can attending a good school for my BS benefit me in the long run?

In addition to providing a solid education and preparing you for your chosen career path, attending a good school can also help you build a strong network of peers and professionals. This network can be valuable for future job opportunities, collaborations, and professional development. Attending a good school can also enhance your critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are highly valued in the workforce.