The importance of atmospheres for the planetary temperature

In summary: Albedo and atmospheric properties also play a significant role in determining the average temperature of a planet. There are publications available that simulate planets with different atmospheric compositions and albedos. Google queries can help in finding such publications. Further research on this topic can be done by asking an expert or reading relevant publications. In summary, the atmosphere and albedo are important factors in determining a planet's temperature and further research can be done through expert consultation and relevant publications.
RobinSky
Hi

I'm curious of how much of an effect our atmosphere has to do with the global temperature. I mean, just the LOCATION of where you are on the planet makes an immense difference.

On venus, with a much more dense atmosphere (and a lot closer to the sun) it's superhot instead, is it mainly due to the distance difference or due to the difference of the atmospheric properties?

And maybe albedo has something to do with it as well? Imagine if venus had a darker color, maybe it would be much hotter? If so, how much can the temperature vary depending on the albedo of the planet?

Well, I don't know. That's why I ask you for help!

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Robin Andersson

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both albedo and the atmosphere can influence the average temperature of a planet a lot (-> greenhouse effect).
I am sure there are publications simulating planets with different atmospheric compositions and albedos.

Could you tell where I could go further and search for such publications? I'm really interested to find out more about this. However after I did my first post about this I noticed with my current (lower degree of) knowledge that there are lots, literally lots, of factors that play a role for the atmosphere and the ability to trap heat.

Regards
Robin

Oh thanks a lot, this looks useful! I'll read this and come back if there are any questions left. Thanks a lot!

Regards
Robin

Atmosphere is the reason why Venus' temperature is a bit higher than Mercury's even though Mercury is closer to the sun.

What is the role of atmospheres in determining planetary temperature?

The atmosphere plays a critical role in regulating a planet's temperature. It acts as a blanket, trapping heat from the sun and preventing it from escaping into space. Without an atmosphere, a planet's temperature would be too extreme for life to exist.

How does the composition of an atmosphere affect a planet's temperature?

The composition of an atmosphere, specifically the types and amounts of gases present, can greatly impact a planet's temperature. Greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane trap heat in the atmosphere, leading to a warmer temperature, while other gases like nitrogen and oxygen help regulate the overall temperature.

Why is the thickness of an atmosphere important for a planet's temperature?

The thickness, or density, of an atmosphere is crucial in determining a planet's temperature. A thicker atmosphere can trap more heat, leading to a warmer temperature, while a thinner atmosphere allows more heat to escape, resulting in a cooler temperature.

How do atmospheres contribute to the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect is a natural process that occurs when certain gases in an atmosphere absorb and trap heat. Without this effect, Earth's average temperature would be much colder, making it difficult for life to exist. However, an excess of greenhouse gases can lead to an increase in temperature, causing global warming.

What can the study of atmospheres tell us about a planet's past and future temperature?

By studying the composition and characteristics of a planet's atmosphere, scientists can gain insight into its past and potential future temperature. Changes in atmospheric composition can indicate shifts in temperature, while models can be used to predict how a planet's temperature may change in the future based on different scenarios.