Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The information paradox and non-locality, ER = EPR

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    I heard recently that Dr. Maldecena recently commented to Dr. Susskind, regarding the black hole information paradox, that ER = EPR. Can anyone illuminate this for us mere mortals? It seems to link all information via non-locality, which has interesting implications.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Jun 17, 2016 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

This does not make sense, because Maldacena and Susskind proposed the ER=EPR idea together .

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. May 23, 2017 #4
    Since I posted this, Scientific American had a very interesting article on microscopic worm holes being the non-locality highway.

6. May 29, 2017 #5
    ER = EPR asserts the equivalence of entanglement to a wormhole, where ER refers to Einstein-Rosen bridge (i.e. a wormhole) and EPR refers to the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox regarding entanglement.

Maldecena and Susskind first published a derivation in 2013.
    General relativity contains solutions in which two distant black holes are connected through the interior via a wormhole, or Einstein-Rosen bridge. These solutions can be interpreted as maximally entangled states of two black holes that form a complex EPR pair. We suggest that similar bridges might be present for more general entangled states.

It was quickly confirmed by Jensen and Karch,
    We construct the holographic dual of two colored quasiparticles in maximally supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory entangled in a color singlet Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) pair. In the holographic dual, the entanglement is encoded in a geometry of a nontraversable wormhole on the world sheet of the flux tube connecting the pair. This gives a simple example supporting the recent claim by Maldacena and Susskind that EPR pairs and nontraversable wormholes are equivalent descriptions of the same physics.

and by Sonner.
    We show that the recently proposed bulk dual of an entangled pair of a quark and an antiquark corresponds to the Lorentzian continuation of the tunneling instanton describing Schwinger pair creation in the dual field theory. This observation supports and further explains the claim by Jensen and Karch that the bulk dual of an Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen pair is a string with a wormhole on its world sheet. We suggest that this constitutes a holographically dual realization of the creation of a Wheeler wormhole.

The first general description however, was given three years prior, right here at PF! “Spinhole” seems apt as quantum spin is the most commonly described entangled property. “Slope zero” applies to the condition where the entangled particles share a simultaneity (i.e. inertial frame).
    The 'quantum non-local connection' of the EPR paradox seems to offer us a spinhole (spatial interconnecting wormhole), with slope zero to explain entanglement. So, it's not just outsiders who envision the utility of a "tiny wormholes" model. As I recall, John Wheeler's quantum foam is also filled with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted