1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Inverse Square Law

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem One: Two kilometres away from a point source of infrared waves, the intensity is 4 Mw−2. Calculate the intensity 1m away from the source.

Problem two: Light from a candle has an intensity of 20.0 units when a meter is placed 3.0m away. What is the reading on the light meter when it is brought to 1.0 m away?

2. Relevant equations
    t00ow.jpg
    7zU6j.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    Yeah, about that. I'm not really sure where to start. I mean, I have the answers with me, and I think I am able to fill in the values for the inverse square law, but I don't know how to manipulate the equation with fractions to get the answer that I want. I always struggle here, because I ****ing hate fractions and I can't seem to get one thing write with them. I'd like to see the solution with respect to the given formula above please.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2

tms

Look at the first problem. You are given the intensity and distance for one measurement; let those be ##I_1## and ##d_1## respectively. You are also given another distance, and you want to find the intensity at that spot; let those be ##d_2## and ##I_2##. You have to solve the equation you have above for ##I_2##, and then plug in the numbers you have to get your answer.

4. May 22, 2014 #3
    If your problem is with fractions than I think you should go back to basics and solve many more fraction problems from some introductory text that includes lots of examples and exercises.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted