The Library of Alexandria -can we rebuild it?

• Thread starter Rick Sobie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of building an International Library of Knowledge. The group discusses the possibility of creating a community around the library and incorporating various exhibits, including science and religion, as well as involving Hollywood and the humanities. They also mention the potential political and financial challenges of such a project. The conversation ends with a suggestion to leave religion out of the project in order to promote open thinking.
is this project for real?

Physics news on Phys.org
kaos said:
is this project for real?

Well we certainly hope so, or else a whole lot of very important people went to a great deal of trouble for nothing.

Getting from A to B however seems to be a bit of a challenge as we
expected that the US and Canadian governments were on the same page
as us, but we have not heard anything from them on it.
No announcement that I am aware of.

Which is quite strange to me.

Rick Sobie said:
Well we certainly hope so, or else a whole lot of very important people went to a great deal of trouble for nothing.

Which is quite strange to me.
Did you stress the little crustless sandwiches and the cocktail weiners?? I still think the floating city is the way to go. Surely Bill Gates would like to have a floating city.

Rick Sobie said:

Really? You honestly thought either government was on the same page as anyone? They're not even on the same page with each other. I'm sorry, I didn't think you were serious, especially when talking about it being an international effort. As soon as you're trying to get multiple governments involved, especially involved in something they all need to agree upon, well, I hope you're really fond of red tape, because that's all you're going to get out of this.

Evo said:
Did you stress the little crustless sandwiches and the cocktail weiners?? I still think the floating city is the way to go. Surely Bill Gates would like to have a floating city.

Well you know, you're right. I forgot to mention those sandwiches. And
badges. And prizes. We could give prizes. AND you get to keep the mugs!

lol

Moonbear said:
Really? You honestly thought either government was on the same page as anyone? They're not even on the same page with each other. I'm sorry, I didn't think you were serious, especially when talking about it being an international effort. As soon as you're trying to get multiple governments involved, especially involved in something they all need to agree upon, well, I hope you're really fond of red tape, because that's all you're going to get out of this.

Well we began to discuss this in ernest when a call was made to revamp
the UN. So we developed it as a suport system for the UN.

I think that with Christmas and the new administration and all the process
that involves, there was just too much to do.
But last year, OCT I think, I read the article where the joint force was formed, for the North American Security Zone and a Canadian General was placed in charge of the combined forces for this term of office. And the force is huge. It contains many ships and men enough to secure the continent.

So this is just a further addition to that initiative.
Then there was the missle defense system which was to be integrated into that, and well we did shoot that down a bit and maybe that stalled things, but that was because it isn't effective as a defense system so we wanted it scaled back. We have some integrity and could not endorse a system
which has not shown to be affective.

But it still has legs, just in a scaled down version.

But the main reason was to move off the net where much diplomacy takes place currently and where arm chair quarterbacks get fat and have no lives
and try to expand that into more of a social gathering of the minds.