The lowest centre of mass while filling a cup of water?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the water level in a cylindrical mug when the centre of mass is closest to the base. The solution involves setting up an equation and differentiating to find a minimum, resulting in a quadratic equation. The final answer is a fraction of the cylinder's height.
Aihara

Homework Statement

Ok, there's a cylindrical mug of mass m. When full of water it has a mass 4m. Assuming the base of the mug has no mass, how full is the water in the mug when the centre of mass is the closest to the base? (as a proportion of the height of the mug I'm guessing)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to set up an equation with the sum of the bits equals the whole thing..
Moment of empty mug: mh/2
Moment of water: I think I get this bit wrong. it takes 3m of water to fill the cup, so 3m=h

But basically I then added the moments of the empty mug and water and equated it to total mass of the system multiplied by the COM.
I tried to differentiate to find a minimum but I had an h and a h^2 which didn't leave me with a nice answer in terms of h.

I rushed this, but if what I have said isn't clear I will make it clear when I come back to it later :)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Show exactly what you did. You'll get a bit of a messy expression for the center of mass as a function of water height. But when you do the differentiation and simplify, you'll end up with a quadratic equation. You'll get a nice answer as a fraction of the cylinder height.

yep ok

Moment of Empty mug = mh/2

When the water has depth h, the mass is 3m.
Take mass of water as km where 0[tex]\leq[/tex] k [tex]\leq[/tex]3
therefore height of water = hk/3
and moment of water is mass x distance from base = km*(hk/3)*1/2 = ((k^2)mh)/6

Moment of the whole system = (m+km)Y (where Y = centre of mass of whole system)

So, mh/2 + (1/6)*(k^2)*m*h = m(1+k)Y
cancel m's
h/2 + (1/6)*(k^2)*h = (1+k)Y

Y= h/(2(1+k)) + ((k^2)*h)/6(1+k)
Y=(h/2)(1/(1+k) + (k^2)/(3(1+k))
so I have centre of mass of the system in turns of k, the mass of the water... (not the water height)

But if I differentiate, and equate to - that should give me the value of k that is a minimum (?)

this gets complicated when I differentiate
dY/dk = (h/2)((-1/(2(k+1)^2)+(k(k+2))/(3(k+1)^2)
So the bit in the brackets equals 0.
Rearranging and cancelling I get k^2 + 2k + 1.5 = 0
Using the formula this gives, (-2+rt(3))/2 (a negative number for k, which is no good)

I'm not sure if what I have put is understandable, but thanks for helping ^^

Aihara said:
yep ok

Moment of Empty mug = mh/2

When the water has depth h, the mass is 3m.
Take mass of water as km where 0[tex]\leq[/tex] k [tex]\leq[/tex]3
therefore height of water = hk/3
and moment of water is mass x distance from base = km*(hk/3)*1/2 = ((k^2)mh)/6

Moment of the whole system = (m+km)Y (where Y = centre of mass of whole system)

So, mh/2 + (1/6)*(k^2)*m*h = m(1+k)Y
cancel m's
h/2 + (1/6)*(k^2)*h = (1+k)Y

Y= h/(2(1+k)) + ((k^2)*h)/6(1+k)
Y=(h/2)(1/(1+k) + (k^2)/(3(1+k))
so I have centre of mass of the system in turns of k, the mass of the water... (not the water height)

But if I differentiate, and equate to - that should give me the value of k that is a minimum (?)
Looks good.

this gets complicated when I differentiate
dY/dk = (h/2)((-1/(2(k+1)^2)+(k(k+2))/(3(k+1)^2)
Redo that derivative.

1. What is the significance of the lowest centre of mass while filling a cup of water?

The lowest centre of mass while filling a cup of water is important because it determines the stability of the cup. If the centre of mass is too high, the cup is more likely to tip over, causing the water to spill.

2. How can the lowest centre of mass be achieved when filling a cup of water?

The lowest centre of mass can be achieved by filling the cup slowly and evenly, keeping the water level as low as possible. This ensures that the weight of the water is distributed evenly and the centre of mass remains low.

3. Is the lowest centre of mass the same for all cups?

No, the lowest centre of mass will vary depending on the shape, size, and weight of the cup. Cups with a wider base will have a lower centre of mass compared to taller, narrower cups.

4. What factors can affect the lowest centre of mass while filling a cup of water?

The shape, size, and weight of the cup, as well as the rate at which the water is poured, can affect the lowest centre of mass. Additionally, any objects placed inside the cup, such as ice cubes, can also alter the centre of mass.

5. Why is it important to have a low centre of mass when filling a cup of water?

A low centre of mass is important for stability and preventing the cup from tipping over. It also allows for easier handling of the cup without the risk of spilling water.