The Mirror predicted pocket phones 103 years ago

  • Thread starter Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
1,602
Published in The Mirror 103 years ago; very prescient.

Pocket Phones 1919.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, strangerep, hmmm27 and 11 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Well at least he didn't get run over while crossing the street and looking down at his phone... :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
berkeman said:
Well at least he didn't get run over while crossing the street and looking down at his phone... :wink:
or fall into an open manhole. It can happen while reading a newspaper while walking along a sidewalk, as one professor (at the university I attended) demonstrated.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, Klystron, BillTre and 2 others
berkeman said:
Well at least he didn't get run over while crossing the street and looking down at his phone... :wink:
In 1919 they only predicted a pocket telephone, not a pocket telegraph or a pocket encyclopaedia or a pocket cinematograph or a pocket gramophone or a pocket difference engine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Amazing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Bystander and mcastillo356
DrGreg said:
In 1919 they only predicted a pocket telephone, not a pocket telegraph or a pocket encyclopaedia or a pocket cinematograph or a pocket gramophone or a pocket difference engine.
And I'm sure you'll do much better in predicting what we will have 100 years from now, and you won't leave out much of anything.
 
berkeman said:
Well at least he didn't get run over while crossing the street and looking down at his phone... :wink:

Astronuc said:
or fall into an open manhole. It can happen while reading a newspaper while walking along a sidewalk, as one professor (at the university I attended) demonstrated.
I don't need a phone to hurt myself while engaging in distracted walking. I have twice broken my nose while doing so, once about five years ago when I walked into a glass wall at work, and once in the fall of '94 when I walked into a No Parking sign while watching people move furniture. For the latter "scattering experiment", I received an award (below) at the physics department's Christmas party.

Snow Bell.jpeg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, jack action, Wrichik Basu and 11 others
phinds said:
And I'm sure you'll do much better in predicting what we will have 100 years from now, [...]
Didn't Einstein do this already? I.e., "sticks and stones" and (if our descendants are lucky) maybe the ability to make fire and send smoke signals. :oldfrown:
 
strangerep said:
Didn't Einstein do this already? I.e., "sticks and stones" and (if our descendants are lucky) maybe the ability to make fire and send smoke signals. :oldfrown:
I don't know who said it but someone said something like, I don't know what weapons will be used in WWIII but I do know that in WWIV it will be sticks and stones.
 
phinds said:
I do know that in WWIV it will be sticks and stones.
Or engineered mutant people and targeted diseases.
 
BillTre said:
Or engineered mutant people and targeted diseases.
I think you completely missed the point of the original quote which was that WWIII will have bombed us so far back into the stone age that we won't have the manufacturing or technological capability to produce any weapons above sticks and stones.
 
phinds said:
I think you completely missed the point of the original quote which was that WWIII will have bombed us so far back into the stone age that we won't have the manufacturing or technological capability to produce any weapons above sticks and stones.
No, got the point. I just think that view is not really right.

If people survive, I think that more sophisticated things that sticks and stones will be available to go warring with.
Also I don't think that all higher technology will be eliminated if the fragile people can survive.
I also think that the arc of technological development will proceed (however at a slower rate) leading to engineered human mutants and diseases for use in wars.

Guess I'm just an optimist.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
BillTre said:
If people survive, I think that more sophisticated things that sticks and stones will be available to go warring with.
Actually, I agree w/ you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre