The momentum and the kinetic energy

In summary: What is the 'increase' in energy? What percentage of E1 is increased?In summary, the momentum of a body has increased by 25%, then its kenitic energy will roughly increase by...The momentum of a body has increased by 25%, then its kenitic energy will roughly increase by 5%.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

Multiple choice question:
The momentum of a body has increased by 25%, then its kenitic energy will roughly increase by...
1. 25% 2. 5% 3. 38% 4. 56% 5. 65%

Homework Equations

Pl = mv (Pl is the momentum, m is mass and v is velocity)
K.E = 0.5 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start, so I will appreciate some hints.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by completing the template... what are the relevant equations that pertain to the problem?

Do you have expressions for momentum and kinetic energy ?
List them under "2. relevant equations" !

gneill said:
Start by completing the template... what are the relevant equations that pertain to the problem?
BvU said:
Do you have expressions for momentum and kinetic energy ?
List them under "2. relevant equations" !
I added the equations, then what?

Take a body; let its mass be ##m##. If it has a speed ##v##, the momentum will be ##mv## and the kinetic energy will be ##{1\over 2} mv^2##, right ?
Now increase its momentum to ##p'## with ##p'= 1.25\, p##. It's still the same body, so the ##m## remains the same. What changes is ##v## -- let the new value be ##v'##. Now work out ## {1\over 2} mv'^{\, 2} / {1\over 2} mv^ 2 \ ##.
That's all.

Likes cnh1995
BvU said:
Take a body; let its mass be ##m##. If it has a speed ##v##, the momentum will be ##mv## and the kinetic energy will be ##{1\over 2} mv^2##, right ?
Now increase its momentum to ##p'## with ##p'= 1.25\, p##. It's still the same body, so the ##m## remains the same. What changes is ##v## -- let the new value be ##v'##. Now work out ## {1\over 2} mv'^{\, 2} / {1\over 2} mv^ 2 \ ##.
That's all.
OK, I got 0.64. That means the percentage will be 64%, and the correct answer is 65%. Right?

No. Show your steps, not just he answer.

And: it would be strange if the kinetic energy went from 100 % to 64 % (how do you get 0.64 ?)

Likes cnh1995
Asmaa Mohammad said:
OK, I got 0.64. That means the percentage will be 64%, and the correct answer is 65%. Right?
No. What is the new velocity if the original velocity was v?

cnh1995 said:
No. What is the new velocity if the original velocity was v?
BvU said:
No. Show your steps, not just he answer.

And: it would be strange if the kinetic energy went from 100 % to 64 % (how do you get 0.64 ?)
Ok, here is my steps, where is the mistake?
ontIM.jpg

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Ok, here is my steps, where is the mistake?
View attachment 205154
Initially, the momentum was p and the velocity was v. Now the momentum is 1.25p, with mass unchanged. So what is the new velocity?

cnh1995 said:
Initially, the momentum was p and the velocity was v. Now the momentum is 1.25p, with mass unchanged. So what is the new velocity?
The new velocity is
v = 1.25p/ m
isn't it?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
The new velocity is
v = 1.25p/ m
isn't it?
What is the new velocity in terms of v?
Or use actual numbers.
Initial momentum=1, m=1, v=1. Now the momentum is 1.25 with m still equal to 1. What is the new velocity now?

cnh1995 said:
What is the new velocity in terms of v?
Or use actual numbers.
Initial momentum=1, m=1, v=1. Now the momentum is 1.25 with m still equal to 1. What is the new velocity now?
the new velocity (v2) is (1.25v1) where v1 is the original velocity, right?
Or if you want it just in numbers it will be 1.25 since m is still equal to 1, right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Or if you want it just in numbers it will be 1.25 since m still equal to 1, right?
The original question asks for KE2 / KE1 x 100 % - 100 % (the increase in KE in percent)

You had the right answer (1.56 * 100 % - 100 % ) but handled it the wrong way around !

Case solved, onto the next exercise !

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Or if you want it just in numbers it will be 1.25 since m still equal to 1, right?
Yes. Even if m is not 1, still v2=1.25v1.

Now compute kinetic energy E2. You know E1=1.

BvU said:
The original question asks for KE2 / KE1 x 100 % - 100 % (the increase in KE in percent)
I don't understand this line, why did you interpret the question as this?

cnh1995 said:
Now compute kinetic energy E2. You know E1=1.

@cnh1995
E2 = 0.5 m (1.25v)^2 = 0.5 m (1.5625 v^2) = 1.5625 E1
Right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
@cnh1995
E2 = 0.5 m (1.25v)^2 = 0.5 m (1.5625 v^2) = 1.5625 E1
Right?
Right.

cnh1995 said:
Right.
Ok, how could I get the percentage and choose the correct answer?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Ok, how could I get the percentage and choose the correct answer?
What is the 'increase' in energy? What percentage of E1 is that?

Oh, sorry I made a mistake, a very silly one. It will be 0.5625 and when we multiply it to 100 it will be 56.25, so the percentage will be 56% and that's the correct answer. My apologies.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Oh, sorry I made a mistake, a very silly one. It will be 0.5625 and when we multiply it to 100 it will be 56.25, so the percentage will be 56% and that's the correct answer. My apologies.
I don't think that's a mistake. E2=1.5625*E1 is correct. This is a 56% 'increase'.

Anyways, you can now mark it solved (and I can be off to bed)!

cnh1995 said:
I don't think that's a mistake. E2=1.5625*E1 is correct. This is a 56% 'increase'.
It was a mistake in a previous thread, but it is now deleted.
cnh1995 said:
Anyways, you can now mark it solved (and I can be off to bed)!
Good night !:smile:

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of the object's movement or motion. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

The relationship between momentum and kinetic energy is that they are both measures of an object's movement, but they are different ways of looking at it. Momentum is a measure of the object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of the object's movement or motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula tells us that an object's momentum is directly proportional to its mass and velocity.

4. How does an object's mass and velocity affect its momentum and kinetic energy?

An object's mass and velocity both play a role in determining its momentum and kinetic energy. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy will be. This is because both mass and velocity are directly proportional to momentum and kinetic energy.

5. Can momentum and kinetic energy be conserved?

Yes, momentum and kinetic energy can be conserved in a closed system. This means that in a system where there are no external forces acting on the objects, the total momentum and kinetic energy will remain constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of energy.