1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The Moon And The Earth, Acceleration ( Question Answered, Just need check )

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    The Moon And The Earth, Acceleration ( Question Answered, Just need check ) :D

The question we were given was.:

Given the facts that (i) the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth is 9.80 m/s2, (ii)
    the Moon orbits the Earth every 27.32 days, and (iii) the radius of the Earth is 6.38 × 106 m,
    estimate the distance, R, between the centre of the Earth and the centre of the Moon. (Hint:
    write down the relevant equations and rearrange them to give expressions for R. You will find
    that many of the variables cancel out).

I have attempted it and this is my answer:
    2pi*R=T*v
    R=2pi/(T*v)
    a=v^2/R v=sqrt(aR)
    R*sqrt(R)=2pi/(T*sqrt(a)) (a=acceleration(9.8m/s2), v=velocity, T=period time(27.32 days))

Is this the correct method, could anyone please tell me and clarify?
    And also, how do I get rid of the sqrt(R), is there anyway to give the expression just in terms of R?

Any Help and Contribution will be greatly appreciated.
    :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: The Moon And The Earth, Acceleration ( Question Answered, Just need check ) :D

Your approach is correct however the second equation does not follow from the first. Try again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook