The Moon And The Earth, Acceleration ( Question Answered, Just need check )

In summary, the question asked for an estimation of the distance between the center of the Earth and the center of the Moon, given the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, the orbital period of the Moon, and the radius of the Earth. The suggested method involved using equations for velocity, time, and distance, but the second equation provided does not follow from the first. The asker also requested clarification on how to eliminate the square root in the final expression and any additional help or contributions.
RajdeepSingh7
The Moon And The Earth, Acceleration ( Question Answered, Just need check ) :D

The question we were given was.:

Given the facts that (i) the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth is 9.80 m/s2, (ii)
the Moon orbits the Earth every 27.32 days, and (iii) the radius of the Earth is 6.38 × 106 m,
estimate the distance, R, between the centre of the Earth and the centre of the Moon. (Hint:
write down the relevant equations and rearrange them to give expressions for R. You will find
that many of the variables cancel out).

I have attempted it and this is my answer:
2pi*R=T*v
R=2pi/(T*v)
a=v^2/R v=sqrt(aR)
R*sqrt(R)=2pi/(T*sqrt(a)) (a=acceleration(9.8m/s2), v=velocity, T=period time(27.32 days))

Is this the correct method, could anyone please tell me and clarify?
And also, how do I get rid of the sqrt(R), is there anyway to give the expression just in terms of R?

Any Help and Contribution will be greatly appreciated.
:D

Physics news on Phys.org

RajdeepSingh7 said:
I have attempted it and this is my answer:
2pi*R=T*v
R=2pi/(T*v)
Your approach is correct however the second equation does not follow from the first. Try again.

1. How does the Moon affect the Earth's acceleration?

The Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth causes tidal forces, which can slightly alter the Earth's acceleration. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable in everyday life.

2. Is the Earth's acceleration constant?

No, the Earth's acceleration is not constant. It is affected by various factors such as the Moon's gravitational pull, the Earth's rotation, and the Earth's position in its orbit around the Sun. These factors can cause slight variations in the Earth's acceleration over time.

3. How does the Earth's acceleration affect objects on its surface?

The Earth's acceleration, also known as gravity, is what keeps objects on its surface from floating away into space. The stronger the gravitational pull, the harder it is for objects to escape the Earth's surface.

4. Does the Moon have its own acceleration?

Yes, the Moon has its own acceleration due to its mass and gravitational pull. However, the Moon's acceleration is much weaker than the Earth's and does not have a significant impact on the Earth's acceleration.

5. Can the Moon's acceleration affect the Earth's orbit?

Yes, the Moon's gravitational pull can affect the Earth's orbit. The Moon's gravitational pull causes tides on the Earth, which can affect the Earth's rotation and slightly alter its orbit. However, these changes are very small and have a minimal impact on the Earth's overall orbit.