The Most Annoying Music To Rip Your Hair Out To

In summary: Not all threads need to be constructive. So tell me your worst, most annoying music out there. What tune makes you rip your hair out??In summary, some tunes make people really angry and frustrated. Rebecca Black's "Friday" is one example. Another is "Macarthur Park" by the Chantels. Anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber is pretty bad, and Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back" is a terrible song.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Not all threads need to be constructive. So tell me your worst, most annoying music out there. What tune makes you rip your hair out??

Science news on Phys.org
With apologizes to Zz, "It's a Small World (After All)"

Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog.
Rock the Casbah.
Songs from the 50s that tell a story, e.g. "Last Kiss" (yeah Pearl Jam covered it, and I love Pearl Jam, but that song sucks even when Pearl Jam does it!)

Macarthur Park.

Any thing that does not come from the UK, except Abba.

[STRIKE]Some band called Velvet Underground are pretty bad[/STRIKE] :biggrin:

Micromass made me retract my previous statement. I'm sorry for any disruption caused.

rollcast said:
Some band called Velvet Underground are pretty bad :biggrin:

Banned.

the rolling stones save satisfaction

MaNaMaNa was irritating as can be, and it got played everywhere for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. (I mean his entire output, I don't know or care if he ever wrote a song called "Everything").

This video:

Watch it if you haven't already. Rebecca Black - "Friday".

Well, if we're going with youtube, there's always "Ken Lee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI

The justly celebrated Florence Foster Jenkins: .

Wing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqa-HYihaZo

You guys haven't lived long enough to know what a really BAAAD song is!

AlephZero said:
Everything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. (I mean his entire output, I don't know or care if he ever wrote a song called "Everything").

I had to suffer through a performance that was a review of his most known songs for the sake of offering "culture" to the students I was teaching last summer. Thankfully, nobody realized that the lemonade and iced teas the faculty were drinking in the back row while chaperoning them were actually whiskey sours and long island iced teas. I finally asked the two faculty who were teaching music and theater in the program if all of his songs were the same melody with different lyrics. They nodded in agreement and were as tortured by the experience as the science and math faculty. If this year's program involves anything by him, I'm volunteering to be the person who drives the smaller van to transport sick kids home early rather than chaperoning on the buses that have to stay the whole time.

Whatever is on popular radio today.

(damn kids, get off my lawn).

Seriously though, I like (fringe) electronic music, I like silly, psychedelic nonsense, I have quite an open mind for music, but I cannot abide the trash they are playing on the radio the last couple of years with the one-note synthesizer and the LMFAO, and auto-tune, and the complete absense of melody, harmony, rhythm and groove. I mean, what is left when you remove all of those things? I might as well put my head in the toaster!

</rant> hehe

Moonbear said:
I finally asked the two faculty who were teaching music and theater in the program if all of his songs were the same melody with different lyrics. They nodded in agreement and were as tortured by the experience as the science and math faculty.

I guess every family has its black sheep. His father William Lloyd Webber was a teenage musical prodigy, organist, composer, and eventually teacher at two of the main London music colleges (and his music is probably about due for a revival, after being completely forgotten). One of WLW's often-repeated criticisms of his students' compositions was "why did you write 6 pages when you could have said as much in 6 bars".

Like many kids, I guess ALW ignored parental advice.

atyy said:
The justly celebrated Florence Foster Jenkins:

Nooooooo... some thngs are so bad, they are good.

Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back".

I find Weird Al Yankovich somewhat annoying. Also, Woody Allen on clarinet, Sesame Street, and gangsta rap. I almost got through an episode of American Idol once. That was annoying. Classical "atonal" or "12 tone" (is that what it's called?) stuff (Schoenberg, etc.) is annoying. The songs of certain birds, such as the warbling finch, are annoying. And, last but not least, anything by Simon and Garfunkel.

AlephZero said:
I guess every family has its black sheep.

Yes, it's too bad. He might have made something out of himself.

I can like almost any music given the right mood. But if it gets too hard, or violent, that's it for me. I learned to hate country music after moving to Oregon, but that was a function of my job while attending college. Once I didn't have to listen to it eight hours a day, I slowly started to enjoy some country again.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, it's too bad. He might have made something out of himself.
He could have turned out like his brother Julian (the cellist), for instance.

If you think "stinking rich" = "successful", then ALS is a success, but this thread was about music.

All but one song from a list that I commented on last year in the "Best Songs Ever" thread.

OmCheeto said:
I predict that in the next 5 million years, none of your selections will make it onto the billboard top 100,000. Unless of course cats take over the world.

Fortunately, half of the videos have been removed from the internet. Unfortunately, the one that sounded like a room full of cats scratching a room full of chalk boards is gone, so I have no evidence for the cat reference.

Anything by Yoko Ono.

AlephZero said:
He could have turned out like his brother Julian (the cellist), for instance.

If you think "stinking rich" = "successful", then ALS is a success, but this thread was about music.

He is successful because people love his music. If the point is to write music that no one likes, I can see why he went the other direction.

Vanadium 50 said:
With apologizes to Zz, "It's a Small World (After All)"

When I was a kid and too young to run off on my own, we usually went to Disneyland at least twice a year. This meant listening to "It's a Small World" many, many, many times; first as we waited in line for and hour or two, and then for the ride.

I'm with you on this one. After the first 10,000 plays, it got a bit old.

Feel free to flame me, but basically all Christmas music. Death by infinite overexposure if not done in by triteness.

Any Pop music of the last 2-3 years has been garbage and it keeps getting worse.. Agreeing with adyssa auto-tune and superficial music with no actually music is what the kids are into these days

Ivan Seeking said:
He is successful because people love his music.

I would argue he makes lots of money because tourists in big cities tend to select a night out on the basis of already knowing the name of the show and/or the stars in it, rather than making a judgement on its musical quality. It's the power of positive feedback.

ALW's most successful achievement is as a theater impresario, not a musician, IMO.

Polka dot panties.

PAllen said:
Feel free to flame me, but basically all Christmas music. Death by infinite overexposure if not done in by triteness.

There's plenty of good Xmas music that hasn't been played to death like

If it wasn't comedy, it would not get much worse than this:

Maybe with the exception of Phil Collins...

micromass said:
Not all threads need to be constructive. So tell me your worst, most annoying music out there. What tune makes you rip your hair out??

Pink Floyd is the worst band ever... Pure provocation... :biggrin:...

nazarbaz said:
Pink Floyd is the worst band ever... Pure provocation... :biggrin:...

Well, I love Pink Floyd. I have almost all of their albums in vinyl. Of course, it's inevitable the someone's worst is someone else's fave.