The most beautiful formula of all

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, David Mumford believes that the only equation that is truly beautiful is the 13th equation in mathematics, which includes the number 13.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I like to do a little survey and ask all who are interested:
$$\text{What is the formula you regard as the most beautiful of all?}$$
In order to avoid everybody answer the same, please don't post one of the following:
  • ##E = m \cdot c^2##

• ##E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2##

• ##e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0##

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
d = 0

fresh_42 said:
  • ##E = m \cdot c^2##

##E = m\cdot (a^2 + b^2)##

Likes member 587159, nasu, axmls and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
$$\text{What is the formula you regard as the most beautiful of all?}$$
Umm,... wasn't there a PF competition like this recently?

strangerep said:
Umm,... wasn't there a PF competition like this recently?
I might have missed it. Sure it was recently?

strangerep said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-contest-equations-as-art.863656/

My entry is at post #7. (The most interesting aspect of that thread is how some people seem unable to detect visual beauty/elegance, yet can perceive beauty-in-meaning quite deeply.)
Ok, but that's slightly different. I don't mean beauty as a concept of art but in the way the excluded formulas indicate. I admit that in your case it fulfills both criteria. I had to exclude the above because especially Euler's equation is widely seen as to be the most beautiful. The popular version ##E=mc^2## certainly comes in close. I wonder whether there are others of comparable beauty.

Last edited:
e i π + 1 = 0

Likes Pepper Mint
I've found a beautiful one today
$$grad \; f = \lim_{V \rightarrow 0} \frac{\oint_{\partial \mathcal{V}} f d \vec{A}}{V}$$

Thank you. I appreciate references (from certain people I know I can rely on).

cosmik debris said:
d = 0

##d^2 = 0## is nice, too.

George Jones said:
##d^2 = 0## is nice, too.

I can see now that there are a whole family of them :-) You're a man after my own heart George.

What is "The most beautiful formula of all"?

"The most beautiful formula of all" refers to a mathematical formula that is considered aesthetically pleasing and elegant by many scientists and mathematicians.

Who discovered "The most beautiful formula of all"?

The concept of a "most beautiful formula" is subjective, so there is no one specific formula that has been universally agreed upon. However, many scientists and mathematicians have their own personal favorite formulas that they consider beautiful.

What makes a formula beautiful?

There is no one specific characteristic that makes a formula beautiful, as it is a subjective concept. However, some common factors that are often associated with beautiful formulas include simplicity, symmetry, and elegance in its structure and representation.

Can "The most beautiful formula of all" be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, many beautiful formulas have practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the Pythagorean theorem (a² + b² = c²) is often considered a beautiful formula and is used in fields such as architecture and construction.

Is there a way to quantify the beauty of a formula?

As beauty is subjective, it is difficult to quantify the beauty of a formula. However, there have been attempts to use mathematical principles to measure the aesthetic qualities of a formula, such as symmetry and simplicity. However, these measures are not universally accepted and cannot fully capture the subjective experience of beauty.