The most catchy catchphrase you've encountered

Well, here's the thing. While I grok this thread in a worst-case scenario kind of paradigm shift, I just can't drink the Kool-aid. So megadittos to you and keep on truckin'.

berkeman

Mentor
"What Gus is saying here, is...."

(used whenever you put words into someone else's mouth -- from the movie The Right Stuff)

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A slogon on a sewer line cleaning truck:

"We're number one in the number two business!"
We had a radiator shop that was "the best place in town to take a leak".

There was also a Korean gas station owner that offered "free break checks".

turbo

Gold Member
The last place I worked the General Manager hauled out every business buzz-phrase you have ever heard. He listened to tapes on business-improvement and he wanted me to listen to them too. Nope. Work smarter, not harder. Think outside the box. World-class quality. What a waste of time. It was pretty tedious. Not far removed from the pointy-haired boss in Dilbert. Of course, Mr. "work smarter not harder" would make himself sound good in meetings and then accost you in your office to demand the you not only work harder, but also put in insane hours on your department's projects. If you didn't work into the evening regularly after all the staff had gone home, and come in on weekends, he'd say you "weren't a team player" or "weren't pulling your weight" and that he expected more.

Let's see...I was in day-to-day control of a sales division (only two full-time people) that I took from about $4M/yr in gross sales to over $12M/yr in the span of a couple of years, and outgrossed and out-earned all the other 3 sales divisions combined, and I should have been working harder? What a jerk! Even after he and the accountant had buried as much profit as possible, charging my division for the expenses of less-profitable ones, they still had to report net division profits of $1.25M-1.5M/year. He gave me a hard time when I bought a new office chair to replace the one that was beat-up, worn-out, and uncomfortable. I had no idea that the GM had to sign off on a one-time expense of $75 bucks... nothing better to spend his time on? What a moron! Still, he had the business buzz-words down to a T. Well "at the end of the day" my efforts were "value-added" and "proactive" and I had "ownership" of the "process" and he was just getting in the way. It makes my ears hurt to even type that kind of crap.

Last edited:
What annoys me most are the people that mispronounce certain words every single time yet use them incessantly.

"Literately" instead of "literally" is a rather ironic example.

turbo

Gold Member
What annoys me most are the people that mispronounce certain words every single time yet use them incessantly.

"Literately" instead of "literally" is a rather ironic example.
The owner of that above-mentioned business used the biggest words he could in any given situation, including made-up ones. He loved to phrase things in terms of causality, but instead of using "consequently", he always said "subsequently", every single time. I never once hear him use the word "incredible" when waxing over some merchandise we had for sale - he always said "incredulous" instead and he pronounced "columns" as "colyumes". He always pronounced "supposedly" as "supposably". Guess what he did when he got out of college ... High School teacher. I pity any students that picked up his pomposity and lack of grammar and diction. They'd get sent right to remedial English if they tried to get into college.

Last edited:

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's another fine mess you got me into!

D'oh!

Say goodnight, Gracie!

Sock it to me!

I pity the fool!

What's up, doc?

Oh Pancho! Oh Cisco!

Who was that masked man?

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Norm!

Yus, m'lady!

eh-oh!

Beam me up, Scotty!

Make it so!

Live long and prosper!

I'll have what she's having!

May the force be with you!

An offer he can't refuse.

Here's looking at you, kid.

I'll be back.

Make my day.

Don't call me Shirley.

I know nothing!

To the batcave!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have a nice day

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Be happy. Don't worry.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Never say never

Hang in there, baby!

baby.jpg

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
Has kangaroos in the top paddock. (disturbed, personified)
Rude not to. (encouragement)
It is blowing dogs off chains. (wind gusts)

Last edited:
If a person's opinion is 'My 2 cents' and one offers 'A penny for your thoughts' then it pays to listen more than it does to talk.

Talk to the hand.

Get to the choppa!

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Another day, another dollar

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Where's the beef? (I hate that one)

You can't handle the truth.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.

5 sheets to the wind

Go ahead. Make my day.

Take me to bed or lose me forever. (Top gun was really popular with the girls when I was in high school)

What's up? Nothin' Much.

Hello, how are you?

Sounds like a case of the Monday's!

And the absolute worst of all time:

Ba da da da daaaa; Im lovin' it!

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here's a line that let's me know if there are friends in the room:

"But why male models?"

I thought I read this one here already, but I must have seen it somewhere else. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a sound bite, but it's one most SF fans should be familiar with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPCjp0ppEE

"Do you love your father?
Yes, of course I do.
Prove it."

From the movie version of Contact

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My favorite:

I thought that I was wrong once but, I was mistaken.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
"Do you love your father?
Yes, of course I do.
Prove it."

From the movie version of Contact
I hated whats her face in that movie but i liked that movie.

I thought I read this one here already, but I must have seen it somewhere else. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a sound bite, but it's one most SF fans should be familiar with.
Yep. I mentioned it in the "what do nerdy guys like" thread.
Best scene in the movie.