The most catchy catchphrase you've encountered

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary: in summary, the most memorable thing about these sound bites, headlines, titles, or slogans is that they all relate to impending or actual destruction or violence.
Loren Booda
Of the sound bites, headlines, titles or slogans you've come across, which is most memorable?

Physics news on Phys.org
"The fact of the matter is"

I really am starting to hate that statement. It really means I'm stating my BS as fact. All you have to do is listen to CSPAN radio. Congressmen love catch phrases because there idiots. It's cliche to the max.

Cylindrical meteorite lands in Grover's Mill, New Jersey

We start bombing Moscow in five minutes

Duck and cover

A scout is: Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. [you said memorable. I'll never forget that one!]

Always leave a camp [or world] cleaner than you found it.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth and run from those who have found it.

News announcements related to the Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia.

"Take only pictures, leave only bubbles."
- the diver's motto

"Corduroy pillows make headlines."

Sex in my mouth.
Sex on a spoon... etc etc. - me. :D

I can't forget this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl: I remember running into that quote from Reagen, if that's what you're talking about. I decided to look up some Reagan quotes and there were some funny ones.

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting. "
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself."

Huckleberry said:
I can't forget this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

YES! I do like turtles! Look at his face as he stares into the camera with those piercing eyes. It's mesmerizing.

Cyrus said:
YES! I do like turtles! Look at his face as he stares into the camera with those piercing eyes. It's mesmerizing.
Haha! Yeah, kids got the zombie role down pat. He must really be thinking hard about turtles.

This one's getting all too common

"to the best of my recollection I don't recall (place your local politician's headline here).

A oneliner I read on a billboard ad for Stoli vodka...

"Do you think Lenin was buried in a communist plot?"

A slogon on a sewer line cleaning truck:

"We're number one in the number two business!"

Cyrus said:

We're trying to get my younger stepson to get rid of "Actually...".

His mom must put up with this when he visits her, but "actually" we think it's a pretty disrespectful way for a ten year old (or anyone) to start a sentence!

HallsofIvy said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It depends on what the meaning of the word is is - B. Clinton.

jimmysnyder said:
It depends on what the meaning of the word is is - B. Clinton.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. -B. Clinton

Huckleberry said:
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. -B. Clinton
Good swap.

My nephew describing a blow-out baseball game: "We literally killed "em!"

turbo-1 said:
My nephew describing a blow-out baseball game: "We literally killed "em!"
Haha. It's funny how that word has come to mean its exact opposite. Literally is now a gross exaggeration. In another 20 years I wouldn't be surprised to see two opposing definitions in the dictionary. Oops, nevermind. It already is.
actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy
in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually

jimmysnyder said:
Good swap.
I got a chuckle out of it.:biggrin:

Kjekt å ha.

You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be.
- Dan Quayle

I hate it when people get stuck on certain sayings. My friend and his mom and dad all use this same saying; "in all actuality". God, I hate it. And you can be sure that it's invariably followed by something that's definitely not an actuality.

Cyrus said:

I really am starting to hate that statement. It really means I'm stating my BS as fact. All you have to do is listen to CSPAN radio. Congressmen love catch phrases because there idiots. It's cliche to the max.

How about:

"The thing of it is is..."

Ivan Seeking said:

Here I go, I have not looked it up, but I have that entire statement ingrained in my memory because of a record that sampled the statement, put it to music, and it became a college hit:
"My fellow Americans, I'm here to tell you today that I have just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."Edit: The actual quote:
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

So close.

Well, here's the thing. While I grok this thread in a worst-case scenario kind of paradigm shift, I just can't drink the Kool-aid. So megadittos to you and keep on truckin'.

"What Gus is saying here, is..."

(used whenever you put words into someone else's mouth -- from the movie The Right Stuff)

HallsofIvy said:
A slogon on a sewer line cleaning truck:

We had a radiator shop that was "the best place in town to take a leak".

There was also a Korean gas station owner that offered "free break checks".

The last place I worked the General Manager hauled out every business buzz-phrase you have ever heard. He listened to tapes on business-improvement and he wanted me to listen to them too. Nope. Work smarter, not harder. Think outside the box. World-class quality. What a waste of time. It was pretty tedious. Not far removed from the pointy-haired boss in Dilbert. Of course, Mr. "work smarter not harder" would make himself sound good in meetings and then accost you in your office to demand the you not only work harder, but also put in insane hours on your department's projects. If you didn't work into the evening regularly after all the staff had gone home, and come in on weekends, he'd say you "weren't a team player" or "weren't pulling your weight" and that he expected more.

Let's see...I was in day-to-day control of a sales division (only two full-time people) that I took from about $4M/yr in gross sales to over $12M/yr in the span of a couple of years, and outgrossed and out-earned all the other 3 sales divisions combined, and I should have been working harder? What a jerk! Even after he and the accountant had buried as much profit as possible, charging my division for the expenses of less-profitable ones, they still had to report net division profits of $1.25M-1.5M/year. He gave me a hard time when I bought a new office chair to replace the one that was beat-up, worn-out, and uncomfortable. I had no idea that the GM had to sign off on a one-time expense of $75 bucks... nothing better to spend his time on? What a moron! Still, he had the business buzz-words down to a T. Well "at the end of the day" my efforts were "value-added" and "proactive" and I had "ownership" of the "process" and he was just getting in the way. It makes my ears hurt to even type that kind of crap.

Last edited:
What annoys me most are the people that mispronounce certain words every single time yet use them incessantly.

"Literately" instead of "literally" is a rather ironic example.

TheStatutoryApe said:
What annoys me most are the people that mispronounce certain words every single time yet use them incessantly.

"Literately" instead of "literally" is a rather ironic example.
The owner of that above-mentioned business used the biggest words he could in any given situation, including made-up ones. He loved to phrase things in terms of causality, but instead of using "consequently", he always said "subsequently", every single time. I never once hear him use the word "incredible" when waxing over some merchandise we had for sale - he always said "incredulous" instead and he pronounced "columns" as "colyumes". He always pronounced "supposedly" as "supposably". Guess what he did when he got out of college ... High School teacher. I pity any students that picked up his pomposity and lack of grammar and diction. They'd get sent right to remedial English if they tried to get into college.

Last edited:
That's another fine mess you got me into!

D'oh!

Say goodnight, Gracie!

Sock it to me!

I pity the fool!

What's up, doc?

Oh Pancho! Oh Cisco!

Who was that masked man?

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Norm!

Yus, m'lady!

eh-oh!

Beam me up, Scotty!

Make it so!

Live long and prosper!

I'll have what she's having!

May the force be with you!

An offer he can't refuse.

Here's looking at you, kid.

I'll be back.

Make my day.

Don't call me Shirley.

I know nothing!

To the batcave!

Have a nice day

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Be happy. Don't worry.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Never say never

Hang in there, baby!

baby.jpg

<h2>What is a catchphrase?</h2><p>A catchphrase is a phrase or expression that is often used and easily remembered, typically used to promote or advertise a product, service, or idea.</p><h2>Why are catchphrases important?</h2><p>Catchphrases are important because they can help to create brand recognition and stick in people's minds, making them more likely to remember and engage with a product or idea.</p><h2>What makes a catchphrase catchy?</h2><p>A catchy catchphrase usually has a combination of factors, such as being short and memorable, using clever wordplay or rhyming, and being relevant to the product or idea it is promoting.</p><h2>Can catchphrases be scientifically studied?</h2><p>Yes, catchphrases can be studied by linguists and psychologists to understand why certain phrases are more effective than others in capturing people's attention and being remembered.</p><h2>How can I come up with a catchy catchphrase?</h2><p>Coming up with a catchy catchphrase can be challenging, but some tips include brainstorming relevant words or phrases, using humor or wordplay, and testing it with a focus group to see if it resonates with them.</p>

What is a catchphrase?

A catchphrase is a phrase or expression that is often used and easily remembered, typically used to promote or advertise a product, service, or idea.

Why are catchphrases important?

Catchphrases are important because they can help to create brand recognition and stick in people's minds, making them more likely to remember and engage with a product or idea.

What makes a catchphrase catchy?

A catchy catchphrase usually has a combination of factors, such as being short and memorable, using clever wordplay or rhyming, and being relevant to the product or idea it is promoting.

Can catchphrases be scientifically studied?

Yes, catchphrases can be studied by linguists and psychologists to understand why certain phrases are more effective than others in capturing people's attention and being remembered.

How can I come up with a catchy catchphrase?

Coming up with a catchy catchphrase can be challenging, but some tips include brainstorming relevant words or phrases, using humor or wordplay, and testing it with a focus group to see if it resonates with them.