Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Most Influential Person of the 20th Century

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    Who do you believe is the most influential person of the 20th century? I am talking about on a global level. I am doing some research on this topic, and I find it rather difficult to select one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2
    I think you'd have to give the credit to someone vital to the Communist movement.

What else dramatically affected so many people's lives as Communist rule of around 1/3 of the world? It lasted for so very long, and was so dramatic. It set up almost all of geo-politics for over 4 decades; nearly every conflict in the world between WWII and 1991 could be traced to the Cold War.

Either that, or Hitler. Because without Hitler, perhaps the West wouldn't have aquiesced quite so much to Stalin, and Communism would've never spread like it did. Plus, without Hitler's agressive tendency to take over other nations, many of the Western colonial powers might not have been influenced to give up their posession of Eastern nations. I'm pretty convinced that there'd have been no reason for Britain to let up its control on India were it not for Hitler, in one way or another. Then of course, there was all that killing Hitler was involved in. I heard somewhere he killed quite a few people for some very unusual reasons...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
  5. Nov 20, 2005 #4
    Need the person have been alive in the 20th century, or can we nominate the person we think had the greatest impact on it?

6. Nov 20, 2005 #5
    "Most influential" turns out to be a much more vague term than it seems at first, doesn't it?

7. Nov 20, 2005 #6
    Keynes. No competition.
    Boo! Hayek Boo!

He was only really influencial in the last 20 years or so of the century. Certainly influencial so far in the 21st century (is he still alive?)

Then again, Keynes' main influence kind of died out after 40 years or so.

Maybe Chomsky. No, wait, 20th century? Einstein I guess. Is this necessarily on a political level?

8. Nov 20, 2005 #7
    Hayek died in 1992, at age 92. How about this moment:

9. Nov 20, 2005 #8
    how is that influencial?

10. Nov 20, 2005 #9
    It's just a nice moment in history I'd have given much to witness :) He had a great influence on economic thought and foreign policy in the US from 1940 until his death. Given the US's political reach, the global impact was significant.

11. Nov 20, 2005 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

If it's for a school report, try to pick a name that isn't popular. I've had many teachers tell me that they absolutely hate reading reports that are about the same things, mainly things about hitler, stalin, or any other very famous person.

Pick Al Gore. He invented the internet. :wink:

12. Nov 20, 2005 #11
    For me it's the Mahatma!

13. Nov 20, 2005 #12

Mk

Don't forget underwear.
    A wink? For me? I don't sway that way.

Most influential...:
    Albert Einstein w00t w00t in the house~!! :biggrin:

14. Nov 20, 2005 #13
    what about
    -- alfred nobel (invented dynamite)
    -- einstein (in particular the photoelectric effect & television)
    -- hilbert (23-problem manifesto)
    -- adolf hitler (a bad guy but hugely influential no doubt about it)
    -- reinhold aman (edits/publishes www.maledicta.org)
    -- rosa parks (hey that's actually a good one!)
    -- don't know enough about computers to know who did what but maybe alan turing would be a good choice?
    -- harry truman (dropped the nukes, the 1st military act of the cold war)

15. Nov 20, 2005 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm gonna have to go with Hitler, unfortunately. I can't think of anyone who directly or indirectly altered so many people's lives.

16. Nov 20, 2005 #15
    I would say Mahatma Gandhi.

17. Nov 20, 2005 #16
    Most influential person is that guy who really changed peoples lives (for good or for bad) and who's decisions really had a direct link to the way people thought, operated and participated in society.

For this reason Einstein cannot be the most influential person because 95 % of the people do not care for what he has done and his work has NO influence on their lives. Besides, it is a common misconception to think that thanks to his photo-electric effect description, electronics was revolutionized and "industrialized". Hell no, early variants of today's transistors (pn junctions and rectifiers) were known at the late 19th century. In electronics, people did not need a theoretical description of the photo electric effect back then, only a qualitive (NOT quantitative) knowledge of this effect was sufficient for the needs of "electronics" and this was already known.

Besides, people like Bohr, Schrödinger,Schottky, Shokley & Braittain & Bardeen (first pn-transistor with quantitative description in 1947), Kilby (first IC-circuit in 1958 i believe), Atalla (first CMOS device in 1963)... were far more usefull to the development of electronics then Einstein ever was. Really, Einstein is one of the most overrated scientists in that department. So most people will just pick his name to answer to that question because they do not know anybody else.

Besides, have you guys ever wondered why Einstein is so famous ? It is not because of his "great scientific work" but thanks to Mr Hitler and the Catholic Church. It is merely a result of a national political debate (on the "absoluteness or relativity" of moral and ethical values, religion, time, etc...) between conservative and progressive Germany, which later expanded over Germany's boundaries towards entire Europe. Also, you do know that most concepts of special relativity were known before Einstein and that the entire mathematical description of general relativity was done by people like Riemann, right ? Why don't you ever hear their name ?

Ahh, and according to me, the most influential man of the 20th century is Adolf Hitler.

regards
    marlon

(runs and hides)

18. Nov 20, 2005 #17
    Bill Gates ;-)

19. Nov 20, 2005 #18
    :approve:
    yep, that is a great choice too.

or how about Alexander Fleming, Charlie Chaplin, ...

marlon

20. Nov 20, 2005 #19

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'm gonna go with Hitler on this one.

21. Nov 20, 2005 #20
    Here's where we have to start wondering about the intent of the question, and the meaning of the word "influential."
    Normally when we choose the word "influential" to describe someone we mean that their opinions carry alot of weight; they are persuasive.
    That is different than the raw ability to impact people's lives by force. If we refer to the schoolyard bully as "the most influential kid on the playground" it just comes off as sardonic.
    Does the question mean "Who had the most impact on the most lives?" or does it mean "Who most shaped people's thinking?" I can't tell for certain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?