Who is the most influential scientist today?

I've been reading about the life of different scientist like Newton, Albert Einstein and Ramanujan and a question came to my mind
Who do you think is the most important or influential scientist today?

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That is really a poor question, because there are so many areas of physics (or other sciences and mathematics, are related fields) in which an individual can practice, teach or otherwise contribute.

I don't know of anyone who is singularly important to the exclusion of others.

Likes Dragrath
I've been reading about the life of different scientist like Newton, Albert Einstein and Ramanujan and a question came to my mind
Who do you think is the most important or influential scientist today?
Ed Witten

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I agree, I don't think there isn't a single main scientist nowadays. Science is growing fast in all its branches, each in several directions and I dont see anyone at the forefront.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
I agree with other responses that this is a poorly worded question, given the breadth and diversity of the fields of research within the different sciences. So no single scientist would be the most influential.

A better question might be who is the most influential physicist specializing in field X (e.g. solid state physics, statistical physics, optics, cosmology, atomic and molecular physics, particle physics, etc.) today.

You can make similar questions depending on other scientific fields.

Likes Evo and Dragrath
Maybe the easiest answer is that the most influential for any given year are those that win the Nobel prize?

Likes russ_watters
Ed Witten
Ed Witten
After seeing that 2 members here had given him the nod, I decided to find out a little more about Ed Witten, and I found this to-me-fascinating monologue:

At 22 minutes in, Ed Witten says:

In fact, the hardest part of research is always to find a question that's big enough that it's worth answering, but little enough that you actually can answer it.​

(k)NEWton

BWV
why would the most influential scientist be a physicist? so 20th century, physics is mostly over

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu