The motion of the mass starting from its highest point t=1.3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
Marisabel
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(a) A large spring has one end attached to the floor and a platform attached to its upper end. On the platform is placed a mass of 30 kg. The mass of the platform itself is 10kg. The spring-platform-mass system is then set into vertical oscillations with a period of 1.5 s. Determine

(i) the stiffness (spring constant) of the spring
(ii) the amplitude of the motion if the maximum speed of the mass is 1 ms-1.
(b) (i) If the motion of the mass (in part (a)) is timed starting from its highest point, calculate how far it has traveled in 1.3 s

Homework Equations


x= A cos (wt)

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer must be x= 0.88m

I've solved part a) already
k= 705.6 N/m
w= 4.2 rad/s
A= 0.24 m

but I'm struggling in part b)
Can someone help me using the formula
x= A cos (wt)PS: This is a past exam paper, I'm using it to study and practice for my exam.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Marisabel said:

Homework Statement


(a) A large spring has one end attached to the floor and a platform attached to its upper end. On the platform is placed a mass of 30 kg. The mass of the platform itself is 10kg. The spring-platform-mass system is then set into vertical oscillations with a period of 1.5 s. Determine

(i) the stiffness (spring constant) of the spring
(ii) the amplitude of the motion if the maximum speed of the mass is 1 ms-1.
(b) (i) If the motion of the mass (in part (a)) is timed starting from its highest point, calculate how far it has traveled in 1.3 s

Homework Equations


x= A cos (wt)

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer must be x= 0.88m

I've solved part a) already
k= 705.6 N/m
w= 4.2 rad/s
A= 0.24 m

but I'm struggling in part b)
Can someone help me using the formula
x= A cos (wt)PS: This is a past exam paper, I'm using it to study and practice for my exam.

Did you think about plugging ##t = 1.3s## into that equation?
 
PeroK said:
Did you think about plugging ##t = 1.3s## into that equation?
yes. I get a different answer.
 
Try plugging in ##t = 0s## and ##t=1.5s## and see if that gives you any ideas.
 
What is x at t=0? And what is x at t=1.3 s? What is the displacement during that time?
By the way, have you set the calculator to radians?