1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The order of an element of a direct product of groups

1. Mar 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##A## and ##B## be finite groups, and ##A \times B## be their direct product. Given that ##(a,1)## and ##(1,b)## commute, and that ##(a,1)^n = (a^n,1)## and ##(1,b)^n = (1,b^n)## for all a and b, show that the order of ##(a,b)## is the least common multiple of the orders of a and b.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let ##n## be the order of ##(a,b)##. Then ##(a,b)^n = (1,1)##,
    ##[(a,1)(1,b))]^n = (1,1)##
    ##(a,1)^n (1,b)^n = (1,1)##
    ##(a^n,1)(1,b^n) = (1,1)##
    ##(a^n,b^n) = (1,1)##
    So ##a^n = 1##and ##b^n = 1##. It must be the case that n divides the order of ##a## and the order of ##a##. The smallest number that divides both is by definition the least common multiple.

Is this proof okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Almost.
    O.k. until here.
    It must be the case that the order of ##a## and the order of ##b## divide ##n##. The smallest number that is divided by both is by definition the least common multiple.

Do you know why ##a^{ord(a)}=1=a^n## implies ##n\,\vert \,ord(a)\,##?

4. Mar 29, 2017 #3
    Right, my brain slipped up when I was typing. I know that if ##a^n = 1##, then the order of a must divide ##n##, specifically because the division algorithm

5. Mar 29, 2017 #4
    Right, my brain slipped up when I was typing. I know that if ##a^n = 1##, then the order of a must divide ##n##, specifically because the division algorithm

6. Mar 30, 2017 #5
    Indeed, you cannot have nonzero remainder, for it would contradict the minimality of the order, therefore ##\mbox{ord}(a)\mid n ##, I'm guessing fresh_42 meant it this way. The other way need not hold.

7. Mar 30, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Oops. Slippery ground, indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted