The order of an element of a direct product of groups

In summary: However, it is not a problem here. It is true that ##n## divides ##ord(a)##, and we only need to show that the other way around holds as well. In summary, we have shown that the order of ##(a,b)##, denoted by ##n##, must be divisible by the orders of ##a## and ##b##. Therefore, it is the least common multiple of the orders of ##a## and ##b##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##A## and ##B## be finite groups, and ##A \times B## be their direct product. Given that ##(a,1)## and ##(1,b)## commute, and that ##(a,1)^n = (a^n,1)## and ##(1,b)^n = (1,b^n)## for all a and b, show that the order of ##(a,b)## is the least common multiple of the orders of a and b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##n## be the order of ##(a,b)##. Then ##(a,b)^n = (1,1)##,
##[(a,1)(1,b))]^n = (1,1)##
##(a,1)^n (1,b)^n = (1,1)##
##(a^n,1)(1,b^n) = (1,1)##
##(a^n,b^n) = (1,1)##
So ##a^n = 1##and ##b^n = 1##. It must be the case that n divides the order of ##a## and the order of ##a##. The smallest number that divides both is by definition the least common multiple.

Is this proof okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost.
Mr Davis 97 said:
So ##a^n = 1## and ##b^n = 1##.
O.k. until here.
It must be the case that n divides the order of ##a## and the order of ##a##. The smallest number that divides both is by definition the least common multiple.
It must be the case that the order of ##a## and the order of ##b## divide ##n##. The smallest number that is divided by both is by definition the least common multiple.

Do you know why ##a^{ord(a)}=1=a^n## implies ##n\,\vert \,ord(a)\,##?

fresh_42 said:
Almost.

O.k. until here.

It must be the case that the order of ##a## and the order of ##b## divide ##n##. The smallest number that is divided by both is by definition the least common multiple.

Right, my brain slipped up when I was typing. I know that if ##a^n = 1##, then the order of a must divide ##n##, specifically because the division algorithm

fresh_42 said:
Almost.

O.k. until here.

Right, my brain slipped up when I was typing. I know that if ##a^n = 1##, then the order of a must divide ##n##, specifically because the division algorithm

Likes fresh_42
Indeed, you cannot have nonzero remainder, for it would contradict the minimality of the order, therefore ##\mbox{ord}(a)\mid n ##, I'm guessing fresh_42 meant it this way. The other way need not hold.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Right, my brain slipped up when I was typing.
nuuskur said:
Indeed, you cannot have nonzero remainder, for it would contradict the minimality of the order, therefore ##\mbox{ord}(a)\mid n ##, I'm guessing fresh_42 meant it this way. The other way need not hold.
Oops. Slippery ground, indeed.

1. What is the definition of the order of an element in a direct product of groups?

The order of an element in a direct product of groups is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the power of n is equal to the identity element of the direct product.

2. How is the order of an element calculated in a direct product of groups?

The order of an element in a direct product of groups can be calculated by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the orders of the individual elements in each group.

3. Can the order of an element in a direct product of groups be infinite?

No, the order of an element in a direct product of groups is always a positive integer or finite number. It cannot be infinite.

4. How does the order of an element in a direct product of groups affect the structure of the direct product?

The order of an element in a direct product of groups is crucial in determining the structure of the direct product. It helps identify the subgroups and their order within the direct product.

5. Is the order of an element in a direct product of groups commutative?

Yes, the order of an element in a direct product of groups is commutative. This means that the order of the direct product of two groups is the same as the direct product of the orders of the individual elements in each group.