Probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers

In summary, we discussed the probabilities of various events involving a group of 10 students, including the chance of randomly dividing them into two teams with only one gender, the probability of all girls getting shirts with even numbers, and the likelihood of the students being ordered by height in a line.
Purpleshinyrock
Summary:: probability, Probability and Combinatorics

Hello, I need someone to check If I correctly analized the probability of the following event:

A group of younglings formed by 5 girls and 5 boys, Is going to divide in two teams of 5 elements each to play a game.
a) suposing that the division is made randomly, what is the probability of the two teams having elements of only one gender?
What I did Probabiliry(P)=number of possible events N(e)/number of total events N(s)
N(e)= there's only one way of picking 5 girls since it is a team of 5 elements so N(e)=1
N(s)=ways I can pick 5 people out of 10 (I used combinatorics to find) N(s)=252
p(a)=1/252
b)The group has 10 shirts numbered 1 to 10.Suposing that they are distributed randomly, what is the probability that all of the girls getting a shirt with a pair number
solution:
N(e) =pair numbers{2,4,6,8,10}=5
N(s)=ways of people getting shirts =10!
P(b)=5/(10!)=1/725760

c) during the end of the game the 10 students make a line in order to take a photo.Suposing that they all have different heights what is the probability of them getting ordered by their height
solution:
N(e): order biggest to smallest(1)+ smallest to biggest(1)=2
N(s)=10! ways of getting ordered in a line.
P=2/(10!)

Thank You for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Purpleshinyrock said:

Hello, I need someone to check If I correctly analized the probability of the following event:

A group of younglings formed by 5 girls and 5 boys, Is going to divide in two teams of 5 elements each to play a game.
a) suposing that the division is made randomly, what is the probability of the two teams having elements of only one gender?
What I did Probabiliry(P)=number of possible events N(e)/number of total events N(s)
N(e)= there's only one way of picking 5 girls since it is a team of 5 elements so N(e)=1
p(a)=1/252
b)The group has 10 shirts numbered 1 to 10.Suposing that they are distributed randomly, what is the probability that all of the girls getting a shirt with a pair number
solution:
P(b)=5/(10!)=1/725760

c) during the end of the game the 10 students make a line in order to take a photo.Suposing that they all have different heights what is the probability of them getting ordered by their height
solution:
P=2/(10!)

Thank You for your time.
a) Not quite.

b) Why is this significantly different from a)? Suppose the teams are decided by who gets the even numbered shirts?

c) Looks right, asssuming they are positioned at random.

Likes Purpleshinyrock
Purpleshinyrock said:

p(a)=1/252
solution:
P(b)=5/(10!)=1/725760

solution:
P=2/(10!)

Thank You for your time.
I assume you're a native Spanish speaker because you use "pair number" . I guess you mean an even number, i.e , a multiple of 2?

Likes Purpleshinyrock
WWGD said:
I assume you're a native Spanish speaker because you use "pair number" . I guess you mean an even number, i.e , a multiple of 2?
yes its an even number

1. What is the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers?

The probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers depends on several factors, such as the total number of girls on the team, the total number of shirts available, and the method used to distribute the shirts. Without knowing these details, it is impossible to determine the exact probability. However, assuming a fair distribution method, the probability would be approximately 50%.

2. How can the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers be calculated?

To calculate the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers, you would need to know the total number of girls on the team, the total number of shirts available, and the method used to distribute the shirts. Then, you can use the formula: P = desired outcomes / total possible outcomes. In this case, the desired outcomes would be the number of girls who receive shirts with pair numbers, and the total possible outcomes would be the total number of girls on the team.

3. Does the total number of girls on a team affect the probability of them getting shirts with pair numbers?

Yes, the total number of girls on a team does affect the probability of them getting shirts with pair numbers. The more girls there are, the higher the probability that at least some of them will receive shirts with pair numbers. However, the probability for each individual girl remains the same regardless of the total number of girls on the team.

4. What is the impact of the distribution method on the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers?

The distribution method can have a significant impact on the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers. For example, if the shirts are randomly assigned, the probability would be approximately 50%. However, if the shirts are distributed based on size or alphabetical order, the probability may vary. It is important to consider the distribution method when calculating the probability.

5. Can the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers be increased?

Yes, the probability of girls on a team getting shirts with pair numbers can be increased by increasing the number of shirts available or by using a distribution method that is more likely to result in girls receiving shirts with pair numbers. However, the probability cannot be increased to 100% as there will always be a chance that some girls will not receive shirts with pair numbers.