Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Strap on your helmets boys and girls, and keep the dinosaurs inside. The Perseid meteor shower will peak tomorrow night.
lisab said:I didn't quite make it out of bed to see them, but my bf did, for 20 minutes or so. He said it was cool but not really spectacular.
I thought the same, but it was really bright: a lot brighter than any star in the sky (and I think satellites are quite dim objects?). I thought it could be an airplane flying at a relatively low altitude, but all the airplanes that I saw had blinking lights and this object was just a bright white spot moving from west to east.lisab said:Maybe a satellite?
ISS, maybe. It is quite large, with big solar arrays.Monique said:I thought the same, but it was really bright: a lot brighter than any star in the sky (and I think satellites are quite dim objects?). I thought it could be an airplane flying at a relatively low altitude, but all the airplanes that I saw had blinking lights and this object was just a bright white spot moving from west to east.
turbo said:ISS, maybe. It is quite large, with big solar arrays.
That definitely was a lot cooler than the Perseids, but with the light pollution that was also harder to miss than the shooting stars.When the station passes over it will travel from a westerly direction, heading in an easterly direction. An average good pass can last about 5 minutes.
The ISS looks like an incredibly bright, fast-moving star and can be mistaken for an aircraft. However, the ISS has no flashing lights and it can be much brighter. It seemingly just glides across the sky. source