The Physics of dragon flight possible

In summary: The problem is this. It's lift vs. mass. Take one dimension of your beast. Let's call it the radius of your beast. The lift of the wings depends on surface area, so lift increases as the square of the radius increases. But mass increases as the cube of the radius. So as the radius increases, mass increases faster than lift. Soon the beast can't get off of the ground. Proportionally more and more has to go into the wings to get enough lift. Then you have further problems. Big wings can't beat when the beast is standing on the ground: there isn't enough room. The biggest birds have real difficulty launching
Silvershade
So let's take a dragon, not a godzilla sized one because I'm trying to be realistic.. but say horse sized, roughly 1 ton in weight,
or something about wolf sized so about 150 lbs
They have 2 wings, 1 tail, 2 legs, 2 arms, and a head... because headless dragons are no fun.

how large would the wings have to be for powered flight and what tail shape would give the dragon the most energy efficient flight if the dragon wanted to behave like an eagle (swooping and coming up again)

no these dragons do not breathe fire/ are magical.. I want a pure realistic answer

Physics news on Phys.org
A 150 pound flying dragon fly - and you're trying to be realistic. I think you have failed.

Insects, especially flying insects, don't scale up that far.
But let's say we go for a 16 foot wingspan. You'll run into two problems right away. The first is that insects don't move their wings as birds do, but if you scale them up, they better. But even with bird-like flapping, there is a problem with the strength on the wing material. You're going to need to beef up the wings - they won't look exactly like a dragon fly.

It might be better to start with an eagle, scale it to 150 pounds, and then make it look cosmetically, like a dragon fly.

Or adapt a 150 pound remote control craft to look like a dragon fly.

Silvershade said:
So let's take a dragon, not a godzilla sized one because I'm trying to be realistic.. but say horse sized, roughly 1 ton in weight,
or something about wolf sized so about 150 lbs
They have 2 wings, 1 tail, 2 legs, 2 arms, and a head... because headless dragons are no fun.

how large would the wings have to be for powered flight and what tail shape would give the dragon the most energy efficient flight if the dragon wanted to behave like an eagle (swooping and coming up again)

no these dragons do not breathe fire/ are magical.. I want a pure realistic answer
The problem is this. It's lift vs. mass.

Take one dimension of your beast. Let's call it the radius of your beast. The lift of the wings depends on surface area, so lift increases as the square of the radius increases. But mass increases as the cube of the radius. So as the radius increases, mass increases faster than lift. Soon the beast can't get off of the ground. Proportionally more and more has to go into the wings to get enough lift. Then you have further problems. Big wings can't beat when the beast is standing on the ground: there isn't enough room. The biggest birds have real difficulty launching themselves.

As for the most efficient shape, birds and pterodactyls and bats should be pretty much there already.

The largest known flying creatures are a group of pterosaurs named azhdarchids, extinct flying reptiles that existed during the age of the dinosaurs and died out at the end of the Cretaceous. Estimations of the wingspan of the largest species likeQuetzalcoatlus and Hatzegopteryx exceed 10 m (33 ft), with less conservative estimates being 12 m (39 ft) or more. Mass estimates for these azhdarchids are on the order of 200–250 kg (440–550 lb).[6] Golly! So those dragons could exist. There have also been 150 lb flying birds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentavis

Likes Dotini and Ryan_m_b
.Scott said:
A 150 pound flying dragon fly - and you're trying to be realistic. I think you have failed.

But let's say we go for a 16 foot wingspan. You'll run into two problems right away. The first is that insects don't move their wings as birds do, but if you scale them up, they better. But even with bird-like flapping, there is a problem with the strength on the wing material. You're going to need to beef up the wings - they won't look exactly like a dragon fly.

It might be better to start with an eagle, scale it to 150 pounds, and then make it look cosmetically, like a dragon fly.

Or adapt a 150 pound remote control craft to look like a dragon fly.
a dragon... not a dragon fly..
a reptilian dragon

Silvershade said:
a dragon... not a dragon fly.. a reptilian dragon
Sorry. I guess I was trying to be too realistic.
Dragons are pretty fat. Maybe you should start with a dragon-shaped helium balloon.
Other than that, the only difference in the discussion between dragon and dragon fly is that dragons have never flown.
Perhaps you'll settle for a pterodactyl: http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/3471/1/MacCready.pdf

Last edited:
Look up Pterosaurs.

They were flying reptiles that lived about 228 to 66 million years ago. They had a wingspan up to 10 meters (34 feet) and weighed in 145 kg (320 lbs).

These creatures were estimated to fly over 100 kph.

Perhaps they would make a good starting point.

Is there any particular chapter you'd like me to read to you?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060110740/?tag=pfamazon01-20
dragons-001-754x1024.jpg

.Scott said:
Insects are limited mostly in size by the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere, not physics of flight, there have been gigantic insects in the past.

These dragons, do they have to exist on earth? Earth has a pretty thin atmosphere and pretty high gravity.

newjerseyrunner said:
Insects are limited mostly in size by the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere, not physics of flight, there have been gigantic insects in the past.

These dragons, do they have to exist on earth? Earth has a pretty thin atmosphere and pretty high gravity.
The only reason that I mentioned insects was because I misread the OP. Insects also don't scale up in terms of their body structures. In general, wing loading does not scale. For constant wing loading, you need wing area proportional to mass.

I guess the reason why dragons in fairy stories frequently are guarding treasure is so the hero has a reason to try to tackle the beast.
If there was no treasure to be had, I reckon most sane people would prefer to get the hell out of the way instead risking incineration and dismemberment.

Likes XZ923

What is the physics behind dragon flight?

The physics behind dragon flight is a combination of several factors. Firstly, dragons have large wingspans and powerful muscles, allowing them to produce a lot of lift and thrust to stay airborne. Secondly, their hollow bones and air sacs help reduce their overall weight, making it easier for them to fly. Finally, dragons have a unique respiratory system that allows them to breathe fire, which can also aid in their flight by providing additional thrust.

How do dragons generate lift?

Dragons generate lift through a combination of their wing shape and the motion of their wings. Their wings are shaped like an airfoil, similar to an airplane's wings, which creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing, resulting in lift. Additionally, the motion of their wings, flapping up and down, creates vortices of air that also contribute to lift.

Can dragons fly at high altitudes?

It is possible for dragons to fly at high altitudes, but it would require a lot of energy and adaptations. As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner, making it harder for dragons to generate lift. They would need to have larger wings and stronger muscles to compensate for the thinner air, and their respiratory system would also need to adapt to the lower oxygen levels.

What is the role of air resistance in dragon flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a crucial role in dragon flight. As dragons fly through the air, they experience drag, which is the force that opposes their forward motion. To overcome this drag, dragons must maintain a high enough speed and have a streamlined body shape to reduce drag. Additionally, their wings are designed to minimize drag and maximize lift.

Can dragon flight be replicated by machines?

While some aspects of dragon flight can be replicated by machines, such as the wing shape and motion, it is unlikely that we will ever be able to fully recreate the unique physics of dragon flight. Dragons have evolved over millions of years to fly, and their anatomy and abilities are highly specialized. However, studying the physics of dragon flight can inspire new technologies and designs for aircraft and other flying machines.