The Point of Series/Convergence?

• Thread starter Jammin_James
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the point of these series is to help us represent complicated functions in a simpler way. They are used in different applications, like solving equations or finding derivatives.
Jammin_James
Could someone please explain to me what the point of all of this material is? What is it used for? I know it's used for something, but I'm having trouble seeing the "bigger picture" I guess. I'm doing well on quizzes or w/e... but it feels like I'm missing something here.

I liked everything before this point and liked it's applications, but I can't seem to appreciate this material and it's bothering me a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infinite series are used to represent functions often. One immediate point is whether the series actually exists at a given point.

Taylor series and Fourier series are two examples

Series, in general, whether Taylor's series, or Fourier series, give us a way of representing complicated functions a sums of simpler functions, then working with just the simpler individual terms of the series.

Here's a simple example of their use.

Solve y'= y with y(0)= 1.

Okay, we know that y(0)= 1 and, since y'= y, y'(0)= y(0)= 1. Differentiating both sides of the equation, y"= y' so y"(0)= y'(0)= 1. Differentiating again, y"'= y" so y"'= y"(-0)= 1. It should be easy to see that that leads to the nth derivative of y at x=0 equal to 0 for all n. That's only at x= 0, not other x, but now we can say, from the Taylor's series, that [itex]y(x)= y(0)+ y'(0)x+ (1/2)y"(0)x^2+ (1/6)y"'(0)x^3...= 1+ x+ (1/2)x^2+ (1/6)x^3+ ...[/itex] and we now know y as a series expanion. If we happened to have found the Taylor's series earlier for [itex]e^x[/itex] and recognize that this is the same thing, then we no that [itex]y(x)= e^x[/itex] satisfies that but even if it is not, we have a solution none the less.

Another important application is to extend functions to other "number systems" like the complex numbers or even matrices.

I know how to add and multiply complex numbers and matrices but what would [itex]e^x[/itex] be for x a complex number or a matrix?

Well, I know that the McLaurin series for [itex]e^x[/itex] is [itex]1+ x+ (1/2)x^3+ (1/6)x^3+ ...+ (1/n!) x^n+ ...[/itex] and that only involves multiplication and addition!

[tex]e^{bi}= 1+ bi+ (1/2)(bi)^2+ (1/6)(bi)^3+ ...+ (1/n!)(bi)^n+ ...[/tex]

Now, it is not too hard to see that [itex]i^2= -1[/itex], [itex]i^3= -i[/itex], [itex]i^4= 1[/itex] and then it starts over again: the powers of i are: 1, i, -1, -i, 1, i, -1, -i, 1, ...

So
[tex]e^{bi}= 1+ bi- (1/2)b^2- (1/6)ib^3+ ...[/tex]

Or, separating real and imaginary parts,
[tex]e^{bi}= 1- (1/2)b^2+ (1/4!)b^4- (1/6!)b^6+ ...+ i(b- (1/6)b^3+ (1/5!)b^6- (1/7!)b^7+ ...)[/itex]

And, having studied series, we recognize those two series as being the power series for cosine and sine at x= 0. Thus:
[tex]e^{bi}= cos(b)+ i sin(b)[/tex].

Looks pretty useful to me!

Tyvm, I guess I'm not really missing anything XD.

1. What is the Point of Series/Convergence?

The Point of Series/Convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the idea of a series (or sequence) of numbers that approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This value is known as the limit of the series and is an important tool for understanding the behavior of functions and solving various mathematical problems.

2. How is the Point of Series/Convergence calculated?

The Point of Series/Convergence is calculated by finding the limit of a series, which involves taking the sum of an infinite number of terms and determining its value as the number of terms approaches infinity. This can be done using various methods, such as the ratio test, integral test, or comparison test.

3. What is the significance of the Point of Series/Convergence in mathematics?

The Point of Series/Convergence is significant in mathematics because it allows us to determine the behavior of functions, such as whether they are increasing, decreasing, or oscillating, and to find precise values for various mathematical problems. It is also used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series whose terms are positive and whose limit is finite, while conditional convergence refers to a series whose terms can be both positive and negative, but the limit exists. In other words, absolute convergence is a stronger condition than conditional convergence, as it guarantees the existence of a limit for the series.

5. Can the Point of Series/Convergence be used to prove the convergence of a series?

Yes, the Point of Series/Convergence can be used to prove the convergence of a series. This is done by showing that the limit of the series exists and is equal to a finite value, which indicates that the series is convergent. However, the Point of Series/Convergence does not guarantee the convergence of a series, as there are some series that do not have a limit, known as divergent series.