Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The political future of Chelsea Clinton

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will we, and if so, when will we see Chelsea emerge as a political candidate? She is smart, poised, and impressive with crowds. And what a political education she has had for a person so young! What an advantage she would have. She may know more about politics than most politicians.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    [​IMG]

Invisible Sandwich!

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! I want to see a Presidential debate between Chelsea Clinton and George P. Bush. This is the battle America has truly been waiting for.

2016 would probably be way too early, but it could be an interesting match-up - Clinton vying to become the first woman President and Bush vying to become the first President of Hispanic descent.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking more along the lines of Congresswoman.

Not that I am anxious to see any more Clintons, and God knows I NEVER want to see another Bush, but Chelsea appears to be in training.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's surely the family business at this point, and aside from palling around with Mom and Dad she should be seen as relatively untainted. As I recall from the no more than 2 times I've heard her, it seems she can speak in complete sentences too.

7. Nov 20, 2008 #6
    Seriously, that's almost like wanting the Clintons to become full-fledged aristocrats.

8. Nov 20, 2008 #7
    :rolleyes: so she has people skills, that's great.

9. Nov 20, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no way to know what she may have to offer until she tries a run for office.

10. Nov 20, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who said anything about "wanting"? It is only an observation.

I already got my President.

11. Nov 20, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Aristocracy? Not at all.

She is advantaged to be sure by the experience of living in the household, and likely she has seen more than a lot of what to do and not do from the inside. As to whether she ultimately chooses to make her way in politics remains to be seen.

At this point she has two important things going for her - name recognition and know-how, that includes A-list references for getting opportunities and two shrewd parents to give her advice. Most politicians would be envious at starting there.

But she still has to want to do it and perform and demonstrate competence or she will marginalize herself and be little more than a celebrity Paris Hilton playing at politics.

12. Nov 20, 2008 #11
    i couldn't agree less. there are plenty of ways for her to show what she has without actually running for office.

so far, it sounds like she doesn't like science and has had a few cushy gigs.

13. Nov 20, 2008 #12
    I think she has already started to get a reputation as a b****.
    Our government actually enforces a strict ban on unwanted media exposure of Chelsea. The have gone so far as to even shut down small fan sites containing nothing more than what is released in mainstream media.
    She also apparently told a very young girl "I don't do interviews" when the girl asked to do so for an elementary school project. To her face even, the request did not come by mail or email, she asked in person.

14. Nov 20, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay then, tell me her political views in detail.

Actually, based on your link, she is a very accomplished young woman.

15. Nov 20, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are going to have to provide a source for your claim about the government controlling information. Also, I wasn't aware that she had a reputation. I do know that she was very popular on the campaign trail and drew large crowds at colleges.

What is your point about the interviews? Is she required to give interviews?

16. Nov 20, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boy, for someone we know very little about, the Chelsea bashing sure didn't take long. You all must see her as a real threat.

17. Nov 21, 2008 #16
    She's Hitler, basically. Adolf Hitler with a perm.

18. Nov 21, 2008 #17
    i read it differently, that chemistry was too hard for her. and that she received positions for which she is unqualified because her father was president, and mother is a senator.

no, you're putting her on a pedestal, and i'm knocking her down for you.

19. Nov 21, 2008 #18
    But she played with dollies in the White House! That constitutes being ready for President!

20. Nov 21, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Plus who knows but that she may actually have seen Russia from actually being there.

At least she likely didn't just get a passport a year or so ago.

21. Nov 21, 2008 #20
    gee, i don't have a passport, either

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?