Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B The Possibility of Induced Quantum Mechanical Tunneling?

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1

Pau

Hi everyone, I apologize if the answer to this question is more simple than I am able to realize, but I've searched the internet and haven't found much on the possibility of inducing quantum mechanical tunneling. Is it possible to affect the probability of this event without altering the object's mass or the distance to its objective? Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2
    Yes change the barrier thickness and or energy.

You have already done this thousands of times whenever you save something on flash memory. It is induced tunnel although that term is not used.

Note not all memory devices work like this.

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3

Pau

Sorry, by distance to objective I believe i meant barrier thickness as well. Is there any other factor?

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

You calculate the tunnelling probability from the distance, the initial conditions, and the potential that appears in the Hamiltonian, and many things other than the object's mass enters into the Hamiltonian. Change the initial conditions, height and/or shape of the potential barrier and you will get different tunnelling probabilities.

(I have changed the thread level from I to B)

6. Nov 14, 2016 #5

Pau

Awesome, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted