Could Light Absorption Be Linked to Quantum Tunneling?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum tunneling and its relation to light absorption and reflection. The probability for a single particle to experience quantum tunneling is not a fixed number and can vary depending on the scenario. The idea proposed by the OP, that particles experiencing quantum tunneling are responsible for light absorption, is incorrect as this phenomenon is easily explained at the classical level without involving quantum theory.
The Baron
Hi, I have just now started learning about quantum mechanics, and I have an Idea, which i am 99 percent sure is wrong, but i wanted to post it just in case.

Okay, so I researched it a little and it turns out that the probability for a single particle to experience quantum tunneling is 0.1%, and let's say I light a wall at a distance of one meter from me and turn it off after a second. (assuming that there is only one light ray) than 300,000,000 times different particles hit the wall, which if we assume the probability is correct(i am not very sure about my source ) then that means that 300,000 photons experienced quantum tunneling.

My idea is that the particles that have gone through quantum tunneling are the phenomena known as light absorption. and that the other ones are the reflected light.

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
The Baron said:
Okay, so I researched it a little and it turns out that the probability for a single particle to experience quantum tunneling is 0.1%,
I've no idea where you got that from. Modern microelectronics relies on quantum tunnelling and, in particular, there being transmission resonance for specific energies where transmission is effectively 100%.

See, for example:

https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys485/fa2015/web/tunneling.pdf

The Baron said:
I have just now started learning about quantum mechanics, and I have an Idea, which i am 99 percent sure is wrong, but i wanted to post it just in case.
Please review the PF rules on personal speculation. Asking questions about something you don't understand or aren't sure about is fine, but speculating on how something "might" work is not.

The Baron said:
the probability for a single particle to experience quantum tunneling
Will depend on the specific scenario; there is not just one probability for quantum tunneling.

The Baron said:
My idea is that the particles that have gone through quantum tunneling are the phenomena known as light absorption. and that the other ones are the reflected light.
This is obviously wrong, since "quantum tunneling" in this case would mean the light went through the wall (presuming the wall is opaque so the classical probability of light going through is zero) and was detected on the other side. Light absorption and reflection are easily understood at the classical level, without involving any quantum theory at all, let alone quantum tunneling.

Likes PeroK
The OP of this thread is personal speculation. Thread closed.

1. What is light absorption?

Light absorption is the process by which light energy is absorbed by a material. This can result in the excitation of electrons, leading to changes in the material's properties.

2. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. How could light absorption be linked to quantum tunneling?

Light absorption and quantum tunneling are linked through the excitation of electrons. When a material absorbs light, it can lead to the excitation of electrons, which can then tunnel through barriers in the material.

4. What are the potential applications of this link between light absorption and quantum tunneling?

The link between light absorption and quantum tunneling has potential applications in fields such as solar energy, quantum computing, and sensing technologies. It could also lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What research has been done on this topic?

There have been numerous studies and experiments conducted to investigate the link between light absorption and quantum tunneling. Some have focused on specific materials, while others have explored the general principles behind this phenomenon. Overall, the research in this area is ongoing and continues to expand our understanding of light-matter interactions.