Does decoherence prevent 100% of quantum tunneling of macro object?

Kinker
TL;DR Summary
Does quantum decoherence absolutely prevent quantum tunneling of macroscopic objects?
(Decoherence) macro world and quantum world difference
Isn't the quantum tunneling probability of macroscopic objects always zero due to quantum decoherence? It may be possible in the microscopic world, but I always think it is impossible in the macroscopic world due to countless interactions. Isn't this the same in a universe with infinite time? So isn't the probability of a macroscopic object tunneling by chance always zero, regardless of the duration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinker said:
So isn't the probability of a macroscopic object tunneling by chance always zero, regardless of the duration?
No, it is a very very small non-zero probability.

Consider a similar purely classical setup: There is a table sitting on the floor in front of me, my feet are resting on it. The air molecules above and below it are randomly bouncing around from thermal motion. There is a very very small non-zero probability that all the air molecules above and below the table will just randomly happen to all be moving upwards at the same moment, and if this happens the table will blast its way through the roof like an artillery shell, ripping my feet off and leaving me with bloody stumps at the ends of my legs. The probability of this happening is something like ##2^{(10^{24})}##, we are comfortable saying that it's not going to happen.

The probability of a chair-sized macroscopic object tunneling through a wall is much much less than that.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, Quantum Waver and Demystifier
Nugatory said:
No, it is a very very small non-zero probability.

Consider a similar purely classical setup: There is a table sitting on the floor in front of me, my feet are resting on it. The air molecules above and below it are randomly bouncing around from thermal motion. There is a very very small non-zero probability that all the air molecules above and below the table will just randomly happen to all be moving upwards at the same moment, and if this happens the table will blast its way through the roof like an artillery shell, ripping my feet off and leaving me with bloody stumps at the ends of my legs. The probability of this happening is something like ##2^{(10^{24})}##, we are comfortable saying that it's not going to happen.

The probability of a chair-sized macroscopic object tunneling through a wall is much much less than that.
Does that mean that macroscopic objects can also accidentally experience quantum coherence?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kinker You are trying to distinguish between the propositions “It could happen but it won’t” and “It can’t happen”. I’m not sure they are distinguishable.

1. What is decoherence and how does it affect quantum tunneling of macro objects?

Decoherence is the process by which a quantum system interacts with its environment and loses its quantum properties, becoming a classical system. In the case of quantum tunneling of macro objects, decoherence can prevent the object from tunneling by causing it to behave classically instead of exhibiting quantum behavior.

2. Can decoherence completely prevent quantum tunneling of macro objects?

No, decoherence does not completely prevent quantum tunneling of macro objects. It can reduce the probability of tunneling, but it cannot completely eliminate it. There will always be a small chance that a macro object will tunnel through a barrier, even in the presence of decoherence.

3. How does the size of a macro object affect its susceptibility to decoherence and quantum tunneling?

The larger the macro object, the more susceptible it is to decoherence. This is because larger objects have more interactions with their environment, leading to more opportunities for decoherence to occur. However, the size of the object does not necessarily determine the likelihood of quantum tunneling. It depends on the specific properties of the object and the barrier it is tunneling through.

4. Can decoherence be controlled or manipulated to enhance or suppress quantum tunneling?

Yes, decoherence can be controlled and manipulated in certain systems. For example, in quantum computing, decoherence is a major obstacle that needs to be controlled in order to maintain the fragile quantum states of qubits. Researchers are working on methods to manipulate decoherence in order to enhance or suppress quantum tunneling in these systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the effects of decoherence on quantum tunneling of macro objects?

Yes, understanding the effects of decoherence on quantum tunneling of macro objects has important implications for technologies such as quantum computing and quantum sensors. It also has potential applications in fields such as materials science and chemistry, where quantum tunneling plays a role in chemical reactions and material properties.