The Possibility of Induced Quantum Mechanical Tunneling?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inducing quantum mechanical tunneling and whether it can be affected without altering the object's mass or the distance to its objective. It is mentioned that changing the barrier thickness and energy can affect the probability, and that many factors besides the object's mass can influence the Hamiltonian and thus the tunnelling probability.
Pau
Hi everyone, I apologize if the answer to this question is more simple than I am able to realize, but I've searched the internet and haven't found much on the possibility of inducing quantum mechanical tunneling. Is it possible to affect the probability of this event without altering the object's mass or the distance to its objective? Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes change the barrier thickness and or energy.

You have already done this thousands of times whenever you save something on flash memory. It is induced tunnel although that term is not used.

Note not all memory devices work like this.

houlahound said:
Yes change the barrier thickness and or energy.

You have already done this thousands of times whenever you save something on flash memory. It is induced tunnel although that term is not used.

Note not all memory devices work like this.
Sorry, by distance to objective I believe i meant barrier thickness as well. Is there any other factor?

Pau said:
Is it possible to affect the probability of this event without altering the object's mass or the distance to its objective?
Yes.

You calculate the tunnelling probability from the distance, the initial conditions, and the potential that appears in the Hamiltonian, and many things other than the object's mass enters into the Hamiltonian. Change the initial conditions, height and/or shape of the potential barrier and you will get different tunnelling probabilities.

(I have changed the thread level from I to B)

Awesome, thanks!

1. What is quantum mechanical tunneling?

Quantum mechanical tunneling is a phenomenon in which a quantum particle has a non-zero probability of passing through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. Can quantum mechanical tunneling be induced?

Yes, quantum mechanical tunneling can be induced by manipulating the potential barrier that the particle is trying to pass through. This can be done by applying an external force or changing the temperature of the system, among other methods.

3. What are the potential applications of induced quantum mechanical tunneling?

Induced quantum mechanical tunneling has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, sensing, and energy harvesting. It can also be used to study and understand various quantum phenomena in materials and particles.

4. How is induced quantum mechanical tunneling different from spontaneous tunneling?

Spontaneous tunneling occurs when a particle passes through a potential barrier without any external influence. In contrast, induced tunneling involves manipulating the barrier to make the particle tunnel through it. Induced tunneling can also have a higher success rate compared to spontaneous tunneling.

5. What are the challenges in realizing induced quantum mechanical tunneling?

One of the main challenges in inducing quantum mechanical tunneling is the precise control and manipulation of the potential barrier. This requires advanced technology and techniques, as well as a deep understanding of the quantum properties of the system. Additionally, the success rate of induced tunneling can be affected by factors such as temperature and external disturbances.