1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The power series above is the Taylor series....

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/1aOFPI7

PART 2

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor series form

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought process is that the answer is 3 because using the geometric series equation (1st term)/(1-R) then you can get the sum. In this case R would be x+2 where x is -2 so 0. 1st term is 3/1 so the answer would be 3. I feel like this isn't what I'm supposed to do as it's saying the power series is the taylor series of some function, f but I have no idea how I could find a sum for that.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I will try to help, but the PF rules don't allow me to give the complete answer. You are already very close to the correct answer using S=A/(1-R). Your R=x+2 is also correct. One hint is that the (x-a) shows up repeatedly in the Taylor expansion about x=a. You need to determine what "a" is in their Taylor expansion. Then try expanding your S(x) about x=a. Does this duplicate their function?

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    So it's 3? A is -2...

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I just edited my post so that "A" and "a" are not confused. Yes, the expansion is about a=-2. For x=-2 the answer is 3. (This question wasn't clear in the link-it wants the sum of the series for...and the next character or two I couldn't see.) They also want to know the interval of convergence. That should be evident from your geometric series expression.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted