The probability density function for the double-slit experiment

In summary, the user is seeking the formula for the probability density function in the double slit experiment with both slits open, specifically without references to websites and with clear descriptions of all parameters involved. They have been directed to a research paper and asked to clarify their expectations from the probability density that cannot be obtained from the intensity. Their proposed formula may not be suitable for answering their original question and it has been noted that understanding and describing quantum elements of light is a complex topic.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
I want to know the formula for the probability density function for the interference pattern obtained in the double slit experiment with both slits open.
I am desperate. I've scoured the web for the formula for the probability density function for the interference pattern obtained in the double slit experiment with both slits open. So I want to know the probability density function and not the intensity function. I prefer not to have references to sites on the internet, but want the formula itself. I would also like it if all parameters, such as for example the width of the slits, the distance between the slits, the distance of the slits to the wall, etc., are clearly described. Who can help me?

Likes mma
Physics news on Phys.org
By probability density you mean the probability of a particle detection at a given moment as a function of position on the screen? That’s just the intensity scaled appropriately.

I think this question has been asked before and there was a reference to some research paper. It might be this one:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.09758

What you need is a purely QM solution to the problem that does not employ a heuristic such as "the uncertainty principle" applied at the slits. That gets complicated!

Likes jbergman and vanhees71
Nugatory said:
By probability density you mean the probability of a particle detection at a given moment as a function of position on the screen? That’s just the intensity scaled appropriately.
How exactly is the formula written?

PeroK said:
I think this question has been asked before and there was a reference to some research paper. It might be this one:

What you need is a purely QM solution to the problem that does not employ a heuristic such as "the uncertainty principle" applied at the slits. That gets complicated!
Please, no references. I am asking for the formula of the probability density function.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Ad VanderVen said:
How exactly is the formula written?
Assume for the sake of simplicity that we're working with photons. The intensity at any given point divided by the photon energy will be the expectation value of the arrival rate per unit time at that point and the probability follows from that.

It might be helpful if you could tell us what you're expecting to find from the probability density that you won't get from the intensity. The reason you're so often encountering the formula for the intensity instead of the probability density is that the intensity is more often the most useful way of describing the physics.

Nugatory said:
Assume for the sake of simplicity that we're working with photons. The intensity at any given point divided by the photon energy will be the expectation value of the arrival rate per unit time at that point and the probability follows from that.

It might be helpful if you could tell us what you're expecting to find from the probability density that you won't get from the intensity. The reason you're so often encountering the formula for the intensity instead of the probability density is that the intensity is more often the most useful way of describing the physics.
You write:

"The intensity at any given point divided by the photon energy will be the expectation value of the arrival rate per unit time at that point and the probability follows from that."

If it's all so simple, why don't you give the formula? No one seems willing or able to give the actual formula.

The reason I need the probability density function is that I have an alternative formula and want to compare it to the existing formula. I don't have an alternative formula for the intensity.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Could it be that under certain conditions the function below
$$\displaystyle f \left(x \right) = \frac{2}{\pi} \frac{~\sin \left(x \right)^{2}~\cos \left(b ~x \right)^ {2}}{ ~x ^{2}}$$
could be a function describing the probability density in the double-slit experiment? And what would be those conditions exactly?

PeroK said:
1. I think this question has been asked before and there was a reference to some research paper. It might be this one:

Ad VanderVen said:
2. Could it be that under certain conditions the function below
$$\displaystyle f \left(x \right) = \frac{2}{\pi} \frac{~\sin \left(x \right)^{2}~\cos \left(b ~x \right)^ {2}}{ ~x ^{2}}$$
could be a function describing the probability density in the double-slit experiment? And what would be those conditions exactly?
Ad VanderVen said:
3. If it's all so simple, why don't you give the formula? No one seems willing or able to give the actual formula.

1. Notice that the referenced paper has 67 formulae, and covers the case of only a single slit.

2. Notice that your formula has only a single variable, and therefore can't answer your original question.

3. Notice that no one said anything about this being simple, and in fact the opposite was said.

Entire books (and even careers) are written to give proper treatment to understanding and describing quantum elements of light (although it is not clear from your OP whether you are talking about photons, electrons, or other particles that can be run through a double slit setup). Even "close approximations" get complicated. So it's not like someone can simply "give you the answer".

If you share more with us, I'm sure we could drill in closer to where you are headed.

Likes PeroK
I now understand why no one has been able to give me the formula for the probability density of the impact position of a particle on the screen when both slits are open. What is the case. On Wikipedia, in the article Double-slit experiment in the chapter Classic wave-optics formulation, the formula for the intensity is given. It reads as follows
$$\begin{align}
I(\theta)
&\propto \cos^2 \left [{\frac {\pi d \sin \theta}{\lambda}}\right]~\mathrm{sinc}^2 \left [ \frac {\pi b \sin \theta}{\lambda} \right]
\end{align}$$
where b is the width of the slits, d is the distance between the two slits and ##\theta## is the magnitude of the angle between the line from the midpoint between the slits and the position of impact on the screen and the line from the midpoint between the slits perpendicular on the screen. Since ##tan(\theta)=x/L##, where ##x## is the position of impact of the particle on the screen and ##L## is the distance between the midpoint between the two slits and the screen, we also have ##\theta = arctan(x/L)## and in this way one can derive an expression for the intensity of ##x##, ##I(x)## by replacing in the formula for ##I(\theta)## ##\theta## with ##arctan(x/L)##. To determine the final probability density function ##f(x)##, it must be possible to solve the integral of the formulas for ##I(\theta)## and ##I(x)##, which is not the case. As long as these integrals cannot be determined, the probability density function cannot be determined either. Therefore, no one is able to give the formula for the probability density function. But why does no one say that in this case it is not possible to give the formula for the probability density function?

Last edited:
To my mind, the intensity at a point on the screen is proportional to the square of the wave function at that point, ##P(x)=|\psi (x)|^2##, and thus represents a 'probability density' for 'impact positions'. The probability of detecting an electron within a narrow region of width ##\delta x## at position ##x## is directly proportional to the probability density:
$$Prob(in~\delta x~at~x) = P(x)δx$$

Last edited:
Likes mattt and vanhees71
I know all that.

The above quoted formula shows you that indeed in the Fraunhofer approximation the diffraction interference pattern is the Fourier transform of the slit openings, and thus closely related to the momentum-space wave function. It's a manifestation of Huygens's principle.

I don't understand what all this has to do with my question:

But why does no one say that in this case it is not possible to give the formula for the probability density function?

But you quoted yourself the probability distribution in #10, which is the Fourier transform of the openings making up the double slit. It follows from finding the Green's function for the Schrödinger (or rather the Helmholtz equation derived from it), leading to Huygens's principle and Kirchhoff's approximations in the theory of diffraction. You find this topic in great detail rather in textbooks on optics, e.g., A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 4.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Ad VanderVen said:
I don't understand what all this has to do with my question:

But why does no one say that in this case it is not possible to give the formula for the probability density function?
Is the problem that the maximum intensity needed to normalise the pdf does not appear to have a closed form solution in terms of ##b,d## and ##\lambda##. But, would have to be calculated numerically from the integral?

"We could obtain this same double slit pattern by either using photons with wavelength 550 nm (green light) and a slit separation of 55 μm or electrons accelerated through a potential of 10 KV and a slit separation of 1.23 nm. The precise expression for the double slit interference curve is
Unbenannt.JPG

where ##d## is the slit separation, ##a## is the slit width, ##\theta## is the angle in Figure 3, ##\lambda = h/p##, ##h## is Planck’s constant, and ##p## is the momentum of the particle.
"

See: “The Double Slit Experiment and Quantum Mechanics” by Richard Rolleigh (2010)

The Double Slit Experiment and Quantum Mechanics∗

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PeroK said:
Is the problem that the maximum intensity needed to normalise the pdf does not appear to have a closed form solution in terms of ##b,d## and ##\lambda##. But, would have to be calculated numerically from the integral?
Yes!

Ad VanderVen said:
Yes!
Not everything has a closed form solution. That doesn't affect existence, mathematically or physically.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Not everything has a closed form solution. That doesn't affect existence, mathematically or physically.
Thank you very much for your wise and reassuring answer.

1. What is the probability density function for the double-slit experiment?

The probability density function for the double-slit experiment is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a particle being detected at a certain location on a screen after passing through two slits. It is often represented by the symbol Ψ (psi) and is derived from the wave function of the particle.

2. How is the probability density function related to the interference pattern observed in the double-slit experiment?

The probability density function is directly related to the interference pattern observed in the double-slit experiment. The function describes the probability of a particle being detected at a certain location, and this probability is affected by the interference of the particle's wave function as it passes through the two slits. This results in the characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen.

3. Can the probability density function be used to predict the exact location of a particle in the double-slit experiment?

No, the probability density function cannot be used to predict the exact location of a particle in the double-slit experiment. It only provides a probability of the particle being detected at a certain location, as the actual location of the particle is determined by random quantum processes.

4. How does the probability density function change if one of the slits in the double-slit experiment is closed?

If one of the slits in the double-slit experiment is closed, the probability density function will change. This is because the interference of the particle's wave function will be affected by the presence of only one slit, resulting in a different interference pattern and therefore a different probability distribution on the screen.

5. Is the probability density function for the double-slit experiment the same for all particles?

No, the probability density function for the double-slit experiment is not the same for all particles. It depends on the properties of the particle, such as its mass, velocity, and energy. Different particles will have different probability distributions and therefore different interference patterns on the screen.