The question is: How can I find the magnetic field inside a long conductor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter humanist rho
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
humanist rho
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have to find the magnetic field inside a long conductor of radius a.


Homework Equations


Ampere's law.
∫B.dl=μIenclosed


The Attempt at a Solution



Problem has cylindrical symmetry and B is along θ direction.

B*2∏r=μIenclosed

How to find what fraction of current inside the area considered?

I just saw in a book that it is ∏r2/∏a2.But can't figure out the idea.:(

I know it is very simple and donno why i forget basics always..:(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a total current I in the wire. Assume it's evenly distributed across the cross-sectional area of the wire. What would be the current density?
 
Yeah!now got it.
Current density is constant.

Ienc/∏r2= Itotal/∏α2