The Ratio of Total Derivatives

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ahmed Mehedi
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
TL;DR
Total Derivative
If we have two functions C(y(t), r(t)) and I(y(t), r(t)) can we write $$\frac{\frac{dC}{dt}}{\frac{dI}{dt}}=\frac{dC}{dI}$$?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Mehedi said:
Summary:: Total Derivative

If we have two functions C(y(t), r(t)) and I(y(t), r(t)) can we write $$\frac{\frac{dC}{dt}}{\frac{dI}{dt}}=\frac{dC}{dI}$$?
Essentially yes, but you need to be careful that it all makes sense. In this case we can define:
$$f(t) = C(y(t), r(t)) \ \ \text{and} \ \ u(t) = I(y(t), r(t))$$
Then ##\frac{df}{dt}## and ##\frac{du}{dt}## are well defined. You also have to imagine that you express ##t## as a function of ##u##, so that we have a further function:
$$F(u) = f(t(u))$$
Then:
$$\frac{dF}{du} = \frac{df}{dt} \frac{dt}{du} = \frac{df/dt}{du/dt}$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dRic2, etotheipi, member 587159 and 1 other person
PeroK said:
Essentially yes, but you need to be careful that it all makes sense. In this case we can define:
$$f(t) = C(y(t), r(t)) \ \ \text{and} \ \ u(t) = I(y(t), r(t))$$
Then ##\frac{df}{dt}## and ##\frac{du}{dt}## are well defined. You also have to imagine that you express ##t## as a function of ##u##, so that we have a further function:
$$F(u) = f(t(u))$$
Then:
$$\frac{dF}{du} = \frac{df}{dt} \frac{dt}{du} = \frac{df/dt}{du/dt}$$
Thanks a lot! You have been very helpful!