1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The reaction of a spherical surface on an object

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I need to find the force exerted by a sphere on an object, with the height of the object on the sphere and the object of the mass konwn.

I need to find the reaction of the spherical surface on the object.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would it exert any force? Is this gravitation? Electrostatics?... When you say "height of the object on the sphere", do you mean the distance of the object from the sphere? From its surface or from its centre? Should "object of the mass" be "mass of the object"?
    If the original question is in English, might better if you were to post it word for word instead of paraphrasing.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    Ok. Clearly I wasn't very specific.

The problem states that you have an object moving inside a sphere and requires that you find the reaction force from the surface at a specific angle from the from the center, knowing the mass of the object and its velocity.
    Hope that's better!
    Thanks!

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I didn't even think of that interpretation!
    Is there gravity? List the forces acting on the object, and what the resultant acceleration needs to be.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
  7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's what I understood from your first reply, but in this case it's a sphere, not a circle, right?
    So can you answer my questions: List the forces acting on the object, and say what the resultant acceleration needs to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook