The reaction of a spherical surface on an object

In summary: There are three forces acting on the object: gravity, electrostatic attraction, and buoyancy. The resultant acceleration is given by:\(a = \frac{GMm}{r^2}\)where \(a\) is the acceleration, \(m\) is the mass of the object, \(G\) is the gravity constant, \(M\) is the mass of the sphere, and \(r\) is the radius of the sphere.
TheDoctor46
Hello!

I need to find the force exerted by a sphere on an object, with the height of the object on the sphere and the object of the mass konwn.

I need to find the reaction of the spherical surface on the object.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it exert any force? Is this gravitation? Electrostatics?... When you say "height of the object on the sphere", do you mean the distance of the object from the sphere? From its surface or from its centre? Should "object of the mass" be "mass of the object"?
If the original question is in English, might better if you were to post it word for word instead of paraphrasing.

Ok. Clearly I wasn't very specific.

The problem states that you have an object moving inside a sphere and requires that you find the reaction force from the surface at a specific angle from the from the center, knowing the mass of the object and its velocity.
Hope that's better!
Thanks!

I didn't even think of that interpretation!
Is there gravity? List the forces acting on the object, and what the resultant acceleration needs to be.

TheDoctor46 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7vcuzzM5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is, more or less, what I was talking about.

Probably my way of explaining the problem in English wasn't the best.

Thanks!
Yes, that's what I understood from your first reply, but in this case it's a sphere, not a circle, right?
So can you answer my questions: List the forces acting on the object, and say what the resultant acceleration needs to be.

1. What is the reaction of a spherical surface on an object?

The reaction of a spherical surface on an object is the force exerted by the surface on the object when they come into contact with each other. This force can be either a normal force, which acts perpendicular to the surface, or a tangential force, which acts parallel to the surface.

2. How does the size of the spherical surface affect the reaction force on the object?

The size of the spherical surface can affect the reaction force on the object in two ways. Firstly, a larger surface area means a larger contact area between the surface and the object, resulting in a larger normal force. Secondly, the curvature of the surface can also affect the tangential force, as a more curved surface will have a greater effect on the object's motion.

3. What factors can influence the magnitude of the reaction force on an object?

The magnitude of the reaction force on an object can be influenced by several factors, including the material properties of both the surface and the object, the angle of contact between the two, and the speed and direction of the object's motion.

4. How does the reaction force on an object change as the object moves across the spherical surface?

The reaction force on an object can change as the object moves across a spherical surface. If the surface is smooth and the object is moving at a constant velocity, the reaction force will also be constant. However, if the surface is rough or the object is accelerating, the reaction force may vary and become more complex.

5. What is the relationship between the reaction force and the weight of the object?

The reaction force on an object is directly related to the weight of the object. This means that as the weight of the object increases, the reaction force from the spherical surface will also increase. This relationship is important to consider when designing structures or objects that will be in contact with spherical surfaces.