1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Relative Speed of Light

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Ive been reading about time dilation and the possibility of time travel, and ive come across a strange concept a few times.

Light travelling towards me will be travelling at ~300000000m/s if i am standing still. Apaprently, even if i move towards the light, the speed of the light relative to me will still be ~300000000m/s. I would have generally thought that the speed of light relative to me would be greater if im moving towards it. Im finding it hard to understand this concept? Why is this possible?

Would anyone be able to please try to briefly explain, or even give links that may help me understand.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
    It is simply an experimental fact as i know. U may want to know more about the experiment, the Michelson-Morley experiment.

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3

danago

Gold Member

ok. Yea, that was another question i was meaning to ask...the name of the experiment which proved it. Thanks for telling me that :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?