The right way to do engineering ?

• Thread starter zaman999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of emphasis on understanding concepts in engineering education in India, leading to a focus on just passing exams rather than becoming a skilled engineer. The conversation also touches on the use of local author books and the importance of balancing theory and problem solving. The person asking for advice is looking for suggestions on how to become a better engineer and is open to recommendations for balanced textbooks.
zaman999
(this is going to be a bit lengthy but given my situation, it had to be..so please don't lose patience)

I'm in my 2nd year of engineering in electronics and I've faced this situation every semester.
Before i continue, i must tell that concepts and understanding of the subject is not given much importance in the colleges here in India, it may not be the case elsewhere but atleast here it is.

I don't know what the situation is in other countries but most of the students here prepare just to clear the exams with decent marks and don't make an effort to understand the subject.Still the students here complete the course and get placed in companies and so they really don't care about what they study as long as they can get marks in that subject.

The thing is that our system is such that everybody here considers a person scoring 90-95% marks to be more intelligent than a person scoring say 80% and that's how it goes here right from class I to engineering/higher studies.

Students here fear to read books written by foreign authors( our usual prescribed books ) as they find it not suitable to prepare for the exams ( here its more of theory than practical ) and they resort to local author books which gives lot of questions based on previous exams to help the student get an idea of the possible questions for their exams and this way they find easier methods to score without real understanding of core concepts.

I've been doing well here, as most of the times i have followed a mixed approach of both but i feel that's not the way engineering is to be done.Now, I don't have similar plans and i want to go for higher studies in my field so i don't feel that would be the right thing for me to do from now on atleast ( i know I'm late now but still.. )

So my problem is I don't know how to survive here ? Is it right to study from local author books than go for prescribed author ? Do marks really matter that much ? how do i become a better engineer ?

please let me know if you've been in a similar situation and how you've tackled it or if you've any suggestion from whatever you've read above, please let me know.
Thanks,
Zaman.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should balance theory/concepts with problem solving. I cannot definitely tell you that you'll score higher than everyone else or land a better job, but you'll be more flexible and useful when you do research or work outside of school. Textbook problems typically give you all the parameters required to reach some end result:
Find the total capacitance across five capacitors in series. The capacitance of each capacitors is...

However, the world is not so organized outside of your textbook. You'll need to figure out what your end result is, what parameters you need to reach that end result, and how to measure those parameters. You'll be more likely to freeze up in these situations if you never took the time to understand the concepts behind the problems.

I've never read any textbooks by Indian authors, so I'm not sure how they compare to others. But if they only focus on problem solving, I can direct you to some textbooks that contain a healthy balance. :)

intwo said:
But if they only focus on problem solving, I can direct you to some textbooks that contain a healthy balance. :)

thanks for the reply intwo, so are you also into electronics engineering ?
it would be great if you could direct me to balanced books!

1. What is the difference between engineering and science?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Science, on the other hand, is the study of the natural world through observation and experimentation. While engineering uses scientific knowledge, it also involves practical problem-solving and the creation of tangible products.

2. How do you determine the best approach for an engineering problem?

The best approach for an engineering problem depends on various factors, such as the project's scope, resources, timeline, and desired outcome. The first step is to thoroughly understand the problem and its requirements. Then, engineers use their knowledge, experience, and creativity to come up with potential solutions and evaluate them based on feasibility, cost, and effectiveness.

3. Is there a standard process for engineering projects?

Yes, there is a standard process for engineering projects called the engineering design process. It involves defining the problem, researching and brainstorming possible solutions, selecting the best solution, creating a prototype, testing and evaluating the prototype, and making any necessary improvements before finalizing the design and implementing it.

4. What are some important considerations when designing a product or structure?

Some important considerations when designing a product or structure include functionality, safety, reliability, cost, sustainability, and usability. Engineers must also consider the needs and limitations of the end-users, as well as any legal and ethical implications of their design.

5. How do engineers ensure that their designs are successful?

Engineers use various techniques and tools to ensure the success of their designs. These include thorough research, testing, and analysis; collaboration with other engineers and experts; following industry standards and regulations; and continuous improvement and adaptation based on feedback and data. Additionally, engineers must have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills to anticipate and address any potential challenges or complications during the design process.