The road to a PhD after a BS in Physics

• Programs
  • Thread starter Noobieschool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, an undergraduate with a bachelors of science in both mathematics and physics has done a great deal of research, done a summer internship, tutored for a year, and has scored poorly on the physics gre. He is considering a military career in research labs or graduate school in a field other than physics.

What to do after reciving my BS in physics?

• Gradschool to study something I may not like

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Military 3-6 years to study more and make up my mind

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Get a job doing reseach or teaching

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Noobieschool
I am about to finish my undergrad career and receive a bachelors of science in both mathematics and physics. Now I have done a great deal in the last 4 years:
2 research projects, 1 year on one and 1.5 years on the other both involving computational physics
I did a summer internship
Graded for a semester
Tutored for a year

Now I feel that my resume beyond that is also quite impressive just not as science oriented, but it does demonstrate great personal motivation and great management skills.
The pitfall to my application to graduate schools was my physics gre scores, they were bad.

Now I am in the predicament of either accepting full funding at a respectable school studding something I don’t have a true love for or spend the next year memorizing physics formulas and retaking the physics gre and reapplying to grad schools. Now to be completely honest I am not sure what I want to study in graduate school. I just really find too much interest in all the areas of advanced study I have touched.

I have also considered spending the next 3-6 years in the military. I feel that this road gives me the advantage of time to decided upon what I really want to focus on in grad school and I feel that this time would give me an opportunity to go back and look at all of these topics again and truly understand them not just rush through the key points so I can Ace a test. Also I more then likely would not be looking to make a career out of the military the plan would be to go to grad school after this.

So what I am looking for is advice on this. Also if anyone knows if there are any opportunities to so physics related things in the military? And I am not talking about oceanography or meteorology.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are opportunities for physicists in several research labs in the different branches of the military. They involve fundamental research in many areas including materials, energy, communication, and armor and weapons.

Air Force Research Laboratory
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/AFRL/

Naval Research Laboratory
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/

Army Research Laboratory
http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think that grad school is a good choice if your reason for going is "I don't know what else to do with my life."

Better to do something productive (and with a net POSITIVE income) for a few years while you sort out what you want to do with your life. Grad school will still be there if/when you decide to go in the future.

Thank you Astronuc those links were helpful!

ks_physicist thank you as well. I don't feel that I don't know what else to do with my life, I know it will be physics I am just not sure on what area of physics I would like to spend the rest of my life doing. But I am also thinking I should figure out that part before I go further down the road of education...

What is the typical timeline for obtaining a PhD after completing a BS in Physics?

The timeline for obtaining a PhD after completing a BS in Physics can vary, but it typically takes around 5-7 years. This includes 2-3 years of coursework and 2-4 years of research and dissertation writing.

What are the requirements for applying to a PhD program in Physics?

The requirements for applying to a PhD program in Physics may vary depending on the university, but they generally include a strong academic background in physics and mathematics, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and/or research experience.

What are the career options after obtaining a PhD in Physics?

A PhD in Physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia, government, or industry, teaching at the college level, or even careers in fields such as data science, finance, or engineering. It also provides a strong foundation for pursuing further education in fields such as medicine or law.

What skills are necessary to succeed in a PhD program in Physics?

Some essential skills for success in a PhD program in Physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, the ability to work independently and in a team, and excellent communication and technical writing skills. Additionally, a passion for research and a strong work ethic are crucial for success in this rigorous program.

Is it necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before starting a PhD program in Physics?

It is not necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before starting a PhD program in Physics, as most programs allow students to explore different research areas and choose a topic later on. However, having a general idea of your research interests and goals can help guide your coursework and research projects. It is also important to be open to new ideas and willing to explore different research areas during your PhD studies.