The scalar partner of Majorana particle in SUSY

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Accidently
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
For example, the right-handed sneutrino. It can decay into both (s)leptons and anti-(s)leptons, so it is also the anti-particle of itself. I wonder how it looks like mathematically. If it is the same as normal scalar field, we can still distinguish its anti-particle (the complex conjugate)...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bill_K said:
I don't understand. νR is just a single state. So wouldn't its superpartner be a single state also, i.e. a real scalar?

I don't think it can be a real scalar. When we calculate the number density of the scalar [tex]n = -i(\phi\dot\phi^*-\dot\phi\phi^*)[/tex], a real scalar cannot have a non-zero number density.

Let me rephrase this question: Think about the plane wave solution of this scalar [tex]\phi=Ae^{-i\rm{px}}[/tex]. So its anti-particle [tex]\phi=Ae^{i\rm{px}}[/tex] cannot be itself, unless it is real. But in this case, it cannot have a number density.