The Schmidt Decomposition: Looking for some intuition

In summary: So it is not generally true. In summary, the conversation discusses the Schmidt decomposition, a mathematical tool used to quantify entanglement in quantum systems. The decomposition separates a state into two subsystems and assigns coefficients to each subsystem. If the coefficients are equal, the measurement results on each subsystem will be perfectly correlated. However, this is not a sufficient condition for perfect correlation in all cases.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

I finished reading about the Schmidt decomposition from Preskill's notes today. I understand and follow his derivation but it still seems completely non intuitive to me. We have
[tex]
\mid\psi\rangle_{AB}=\sum_{i,u}a_{iu}\mid i\rangle_{A}\mid u\rangle_{B}=\sum_{i}\mid i\rangle_{A}\mid\tilde{i}\rangle_{B}
[/tex]
where we have
[tex]
\mid\tilde{i}\rangle_{B}=\sum_{i,u}a_{iu}\mid u\rangle_{B}
[/tex]

At this stage, the system B is represented by [itex]\mid\tilde{i}\rangle_{B}[/itex] which are not orthonormal. Then, one chooses a basis for the first subsystem such that the partial trace [itex]\rho_{a}=Tr_{B}\rho_{AB}[/itex] is diagonal. Somehow, this automatically makes the vectors of system B orthonormal. I can see that it's true but I have no clue why. If anyone has some intuition for what is going on, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing so you can associate to each vector in HA a vector in HB when you have entanglement. (iA -> iB)
If one takes Va as an eigenvector for an operator O: O Va = a Va can we say that the associate vector Vb verifies:
O Vb = b Vb? (a measurement result on A would always be associated to a definite result on B with the same measurement)?
Is it what it means physically?

I think the correct sentence is:
if the Schmidt decomposition has equal [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] the results of measurements on each subsystem are perfectly correlated:
Measuring an observable on A makes sure the measurement result of the same observable on subsystem B. the
choice of the measured observable can be done after the systems have finished to interact.

Could anyone help me to prove it?
thanks

McLaren Rulez said:
At this stage, the system B is represented by [itex]\mid\tilde{i}\rangle_{B}[/itex] which are not orthonormal. Then, one chooses a basis for the first subsystem such that the partial trace [itex]\rho_{a}=Tr_{B}\rho_{AB}[/itex] is diagonal. Somehow, this automatically makes the vectors of system B orthonormal.
That's an interesting way to proof the Schmidt decomposition. The sources I know use the singular value decomposition which is not very intuitive. I don't know an answer to your question right away. I will have a look at this proof if I find the time.

But you don't lack intuition regarding what the Schmidt decomposition states, do you? It separates a state as much as possible and therefore quantifies entanglement.

naima said:
if the Schmidt decomposition has equal [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] the results of measurements on each subsystem are perfectly correlated
For maximum entanglement/correlation, the number of the coefficients also has to be the same as the dimension of the smaller Hilbert space. Note that in general, you can't measure the same observable on both systems because the Hilbert spaces can be different.

/edit: I've just seen, that this thread is rather old.

Last edited:
/edit: please delete, I posted in the wrong thread

kith said:
Note that in general, you can't measure the same observable on both systems because the Hilbert spaces can be different.

It may be true in mathematics but not in physics.
you can measure the abscissa of a point on a line and that of a point in a plane containing the line.

naima said:
It may be true in mathematics but not in physics.
you can measure the abscissa of a point on a line and that of a point in a plane containing the line.
Not all observables exist for all kinds of systems. There is no position operator for the electromagnetic field, for example.

naima said:
if the Schmidt decomposition has equal [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] the results of measurements on each subsystem are perfectly correlated: Measuring an observable on A makes sure the measurement result of the same observable on subsystem B.
I have thought a bit more about this and I think it doesn't hold in general. For example, we can entangle different spin components of two particles. |+z>|+x> + |-z>|-x> is a counter example to your statement.

What I wrote comes from french 2012 co-Nobel prize Serge Haroche
It is in french. I google translated page 3:

If an entangled state has equal Schmidt decomposition (λi) it can be expressed in
different orthonormal bases associated with non-compatible observables states:
(he gives two examples) then he writes:
The results of measurements on each subsystem are random, but perfectly correlated:
measuring system A makes sure the measurement result of the same observable on B. the
choice of the measured observable can be done after the systems have come to interact.

I do not understand if what he says after the examples is only valid when the λi are equal.

naima said:
I do not understand if what he says after the examples is only valid when the λi are equal.
If the λi are not equal, you get perfect correlations only in a single set of bases (it consists of the eigenstates of the reduced density matrices). So it is a necessary condition for his statement that the λi are equal.

But as I have mentioned above, I don't think it is a sufficient condition. His statement is true for his examples but not for my counter example.

What is the Schmidt decomposition?

The Schmidt decomposition is a mathematical tool used to study the entanglement of quantum states in composite systems. It allows us to represent a quantum state as a linear combination of product states, providing insight into the amount of entanglement present in the system.

Why is the Schmidt decomposition important?

The Schmidt decomposition is important because it helps us understand how different parts of a composite quantum system are entangled with each other. This is crucial for studying and manipulating quantum states, which has applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and other areas of quantum physics.

How does the Schmidt decomposition work?

The Schmidt decomposition works by first expressing a composite quantum state as a product state, then using a mathematical procedure called singular value decomposition to find a set of orthonormal basis states that best approximate the original state. These basis states are known as Schmidt basis states and the coefficients in the linear combination represent the amount of entanglement between the subsystems.

Can the Schmidt decomposition be used for any quantum state?

Yes, the Schmidt decomposition can be applied to any bipartite quantum state, meaning a state that is composed of two subsystems. It is also possible to extend the decomposition to multipartite states, but this is more complex and not as commonly used.

What is the physical interpretation of the coefficients in the Schmidt decomposition?

The coefficients in the Schmidt decomposition represent the probability amplitudes of finding the composite system in each of the basis states. They also provide information about the entanglement between the subsystems, with larger coefficients indicating stronger entanglement. In some cases, the coefficients may also have a geometric interpretation in terms of the geometry of the state space.