The science in my email to a prof

In summary: I don't think that's necessary either - if you want to mention it, go ahead!Done!In summary, the email is trying to introduce the professor to some of the research they have done on galaxy structures and dynamics. They are unsure if they have gotten the gist of the topics correctly, and want someone else to look over the draft and help them out.
starstruck_
Hey! I’m writing an email to a professor for research and I am mentioning some things I’ve found interesting and trying to connect them to his research but I’m not exactly sure if I’ve gotten the gist of these topics right ; like for example if dark matter and stuff effects the structure or dynamics of galaxies and galaxy clusters like I’ve said I’d be interested in learning.

Could someone look over my draft for the email and help me out a bit?

I want to make sure I’ve gotten the right stuff down.

Here they are:

|||Galaxy structures and the type/composition of stars
The birth of galaxies
Spectroscopy and photometry
The dynamics of galaxy clusters
what holds the clusters as well as the galaxies themselves together
the forces that govern the mechanics of the galaxies in clusters (dark matter more specifically)
Effects of stellar evolution on galaxy evolution |||

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
starstruck_ said:
I can private message the science part of my email!
Post the relevant part here. PM's of that sort are discouraged on this forum.

Likes starstruck_
phinds said:
Post the relevant part here. PM's of that sort are discouraged on this forum.

Ah okay sounds good!

phinds said:
Post the relevant part here.

Done!

starstruck_ said:
Hey! I’m writing an email to a professor for research...
What does that mean? What is the exact purpose of the email?

starstruck_ said:
Here they are:

|||Galaxy structures and the type/composition of stars
The birth of galaxies
Spectroscopy and photometry
The dynamics of galaxy clusters
what holds the clusters as well as the galaxies themselves together
the forces that govern the mechanics of the galaxies in clusters (dark matter more specifically)
Effects of stellar evolution on galaxy evolution |||

Galactic Structure and Stellar Structure are pretty widely different - I'd put them on 2 separate lines. Spectroscopy and photometry are extremely broad topics, if you're interest is actually in stellar, galactic, and galactic cluster structure, it might not be worth it to mention those here. There are effects of stellar evolution on galactic evolution, but that's quite a narrow topic that seems to be much narrower than the others mentioned.

1. What is the purpose of including science in my email to a professor?

The purpose of including science in your email to a professor is to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. This can help establish your credibility and show the professor that you are serious and engaged in the topic.

2. How should I incorporate scientific terminology in my email to a professor?

When incorporating scientific terminology in your email, make sure to use it correctly and in context. Avoid using jargon unless you are sure that the professor is familiar with it. Also, be sure to define any terms that may be unfamiliar to the professor.

3. Is it appropriate to ask scientific questions in my email to a professor?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask scientific questions in your email to a professor. This shows that you are actively thinking about the topic and seeking clarification or further understanding. However, make sure to phrase your questions respectfully and concisely.

4. How much detail should I include about my scientific research or project in the email?

The amount of detail you include in your email should be enough to give the professor a general understanding of your research or project. However, avoid overwhelming them with too much information. If the professor is interested, they will likely ask for more details or request a meeting to discuss further.

5. Should I include any references or sources in my email to a professor?

If you are referencing specific information or studies, it is appropriate to include references or sources in your email. This shows that you have done your research and can support your ideas with evidence. However, be sure to properly cite your sources and avoid overwhelming the professor with too many references.