1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The search for a research mentor

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    So my university apparently gives out summer research positions to undergrad students. I'm in engineering and for about a year now I've been thinking about efficient easy-to-make water filters for developing countries. The whole idea originated from a science competition in high school, but that's besides the point.

So I figured I could try to get a position by developing my idea further. Now my problem is that I have to find a professor willing to take me as a summer research person.

Which field should I look for professors in? I was thinking chemical engineering, but I think that might be a little off. Soooo.. I don't quite know. Help is appreciated :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    You may want to look and see if any of the science or engineering faculty has ever been involved in "Engineers without Borders" or similar outreach... therefore even if they have no ongoing work relating to your project, they might be sympathetic and be willing to take on the role of adviser.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook