The set of limit points is closed

In summary: Yes it does work. I just wrote up the proof. Thank you!in that cases, no, nothing to do with the Archimedean propertycarry on from there
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

L is the set of limit point of A in the real space, prove that L is closed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L may or may not have limit points. If L does not have limit points, then it's obviously closed.

If L has limit points, the let l be a limit points of L. => exists x in L such that x is in the [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] neighborhood of l and x[tex]\neq[/tex]l
x is a limit point of A => exists a in A such that a is in the [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] neighborhood of x and a[tex]\neq[/tex]x
a is in the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] neighborhood of l. The problem is, how do i show that a[tex]\neq[/tex]l?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε :wink:)

Hint: try it with ε = 1/n, for all values of n. :wink:

Alternative suggestion: what about proving that the complement of L is open? Wouldn't it be easier?

tiny-tim said:
Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε :wink:)

Hint: try it with ε = 1/n, for all values of n. :wink:

Hi. But aren't we supposed to prove this for every epsilon?

arkajad said:
Alternative suggestion: what about proving that the complement of L is open? Wouldn't it be easier?

I don't see how this could me easier..hints?

R.P.F. said:
Hi. But aren't we supposed to prove this for every epsilon?

I'm thinking of a slightly different method to the one you're thinking of (which I think doesn't work).

What can you get if you do it for every n? :smile:

R.P.F. said:
I don't see how this could me easier..hints?

Let M be the complement of L. You want to prove that M is open. A point is in M if there is a neighborhood U of x that does not contain any point of A except perhaps x itself. Can we show that none of the points in U can be a limit point of A? Or, if you wish, take epsilon/2 of this neighborhood. It's seems to me that it will work.

arkajad said:
Let M be the complement of L. You want to prove that M is open. A point is in M if there is a neighborhood U of x that does not contain any point of A except perhaps x itself. Can we show that none of the points in U can be a limit point of A? Or, if you wish, take epsilon/2 of this neighborhood. It's seems to me that it will work.

Yes it does work. I just wrote up the proof. Thank you!

tiny-tim said:
I'm thinking of a slightly different method to the one you're thinking of (which I think doesn't work).

What can you get if you do it for every n? :smile:

So you mean if we do this for every n then we can use the Archimedian property to show it works for every epsilon?

wot's the Archimedian property? :redface:

tiny-tim said:
wot's the Archimedian property? :redface:

Sorry it should be Archimedean property: For every [tex]r \in R[/tex], there exists [tex]n \in N[/tex] s.t. r>1/n.

ahh!

in that cases, no, nothing to do with the Archimedean property

hint: for each ε = 1/n, you should get a point xn

carry on from there :smile:

1. What is the definition of a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set that can be approximated by other points in the set. In other words, every neighborhood of a limit point will contain at least one other point in the set.

2. How do we know if a set has a limit point?

A set has a limit point if there exists at least one point in the set that can be approximated by other points in the set. This can be determined by looking at the elements in the set and checking if there are any points that are close to each other.

3. What does it mean for the set of limit points to be closed?

If the set of limit points is closed, it means that the set contains all of its limit points. In other words, there are no limit points that are not already included in the set.

4. How is the closedness of the set of limit points related to the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in the original set. If the set of limit points is closed, then the closure of the set is equal to the set of limit points. This means that the closure is already contained within the set, and there is no need to add any additional points.

5. Can a set have a limit point that is not in the set?

Yes, a set can have a limit point that is not in the set. This can occur if the limit point is on the boundary of the set, or if the set is not closed. However, if the set is closed, then all of its limit points will be contained within the set.