The set of limit points is closed

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date

Homework Statement

L is the set of limit point of A in the real space, prove that L is closed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L may or may not have limit points. If L does not have limit points, then it's obviously closed.

If L has limit points, the let l be a limit points of L. => exists x in L such that x is in the [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] neighborhood of l and x[tex]\neq[/tex]l
x is a limit point of A => exists a in A such that a is in the [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] neighborhood of x and a[tex]\neq[/tex]x
a is in the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] neighborhood of l. The problem is, how do i show that a[tex]\neq[/tex]l?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε :wink:)

Hint: try it with ε = 1/n, for all values of n. :wink:

Alternative suggestion: what about proving that the complement of L is open? Wouldn't it be easier?

Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε :wink:)

Hint: try it with ε = 1/n, for all values of n. :wink:
Hi. But aren't we supposed to prove this for every epsilon?

Alternative suggestion: what about proving that the complement of L is open? Wouldn't it be easier?
I don't see how this could me easier..hints?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi. But aren't we supposed to prove this for every epsilon?
I'm thinking of a slightly different method to the one you're thinking of (which I think doesn't work).

What can you get if you do it for every n? :smile:

I don't see how this could me easier..hints?
Let M be the complement of L. You want to prove that M is open. A point is in M if there is a neighborhood U of x that does not contain any point of A except perhaps x itself. Can we show that none of the points in U can be a limit point of A? Or, if you wish, take epsilon/2 of this neighborhood. It's seems to me that it will work.

Let M be the complement of L. You want to prove that M is open. A point is in M if there is a neighborhood U of x that does not contain any point of A except perhaps x itself. Can we show that none of the points in U can be a limit point of A? Or, if you wish, take epsilon/2 of this neighborhood. It's seems to me that it will work.
Yes it does work. I just wrote up the proof. Thank you!

I'm thinking of a slightly different method to the one you're thinking of (which I think doesn't work).

What can you get if you do it for every n? :smile:
So you mean if we do this for every n then we can use the Archimedian property to show it works for every epsilon?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
wot's the Archimedian property? :redface:

wot's the Archimedian property? :redface:
Sorry it should be Archimedean property: For every [tex]r \in R[/tex], there exists [tex]n \in N[/tex] s.t. r>1/n.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ahh!

in that cases, no, nothing to do with the Archimedean property

hint: for each ε = 1/n, you should get a point xn

carry on from there :smile: