1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other The Should I Become an Engineer? Thread

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1061

analogdesign

Science Advisor

The problem is Software Engineering isn't an Engineering field. Before you throw tomatoes at me, what I mean by that is people with all kinds of skills levels, from AI algorithm researchers at Google down to help desk folks at Best Buy are often lumped together in one box. It is as if everyone from Medical Assistant to Brain Surgeons were all referred to as "Medical Professionals". It would be pretty useless to ask what the growth of "Medical Professionals" is going to be if you really want to know what the growth of surgeons is going to be.

Another point is that it is very, very difficult to become an electrical or chemical engineer without a degree in those fields. There is just too much to learn and understand. Plenty of people become "software engineers" after going to a six-week bootcamp and learning a bit of Python. It is just too hard to make generalizations about the software business. Almost any you see in practice are self-serving in one way or another.

2. Feb 13, 2017 #1062
    i have completed my bachelor in electrical engineering but due to financial stress i decided to work for 1.5 years atleast to get experience and finances so that i can start my master,i read alot to avoid the gap,i want to learn quantum physics while i am on this gap,any help?
    one more q,can anything be learnt from this forum?

3. Feb 14, 2017 #1063
    Applied statistics sounds like a watered down statistics degree...much like my watered down electrical engineering degree "computer engineering" xd. It would be better If you do pure statistics major :d,

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Aug 18, 2017 #1064
    I want a career in the Aerospace Industry. My original major was Physics and after my first year of a three year community college degree, I have learned much more about what different degree's lead to what jobs. I am a solid A student, English, Geography, Computer Science, and Mathematics are subjects I have taken so far. I want to stay in my current city due to family obligations, and the University here offers EE and ME.
    I am thinking that I want to major in EE, even though that will take me 6 years in all to graduate. It seems it will be the most stimulating and rewarding for my interests. I like to work hard, I like to build things and I enjoy mathematics.

I haven't had the opportunity to take physics in college yet. I am 25 years old, I took 7 years off to work minimum wage jobs, and spent the last 3 semesters catching up to where incoming Freshman start at since my high school only offered up to Pre-calc.

1. Will I be able to pursue a career in the Aerospace Industry with a Bachelor's In Electrical Engineering?

2. (Opinions) Would it be beneficial to pursue a Masters in Science in Physics after earning an EE? Can I pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering after earning an EE?

5. Aug 18, 2017 #1065
    Shouldn't this be a new thread, rather than a continuation of the OP?

To answer your questions, both ME and EE can lead to jobs in aerospace. I've worked in aerospace for a company that built electro-mechanical subsystems, and we had lots of MEs and a modest number of EEs. I think you will find that aerospace is largely ME oriented, unless you work specifically on the electronics end.

To be sure, you could pursue an ME Aero after an EE degree, but you will find yourself significantly behind in terms of things like fluid mechanics, structures, celestial mechanics, and a few other odds and ends.

6. Aug 22, 2017 #1066
    Thank you for your reply. I decided to post a thread from your advice.

7. Oct 4, 2017 #1067
    I wanted to be an engineer, but one, I’m too young, two, I’m still not sure what kind, and three, I am more into robotics, so if there is anything more robotics related, then I’d be happy to research about it

8. Oct 4, 2017 #1068

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You said "wanted" as if you don't want to anymore. Was that a typo?

Anyway, both mechanical and electrical (not to mention computer) engineering would be appropriate for robotics and often there is a robotics "track" associated with different majors. You will just have to decide what aspect you are more interested in and look at the "tracks" available at prospective colleges.

9. Oct 4, 2017 #1069
    That was a typo... so sorry! Thanks for the suggestions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted