The simplest delicious nutritious meals?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: Lisa. When I was in college (1970 on, OK I'm an old fart) I cooked for myself every day and made big enough batches to have left-overs. I'd make lentil soup, baked beans, breads, biscuits, spaghetti, New England boiled dinners, etc, etc. When times were lean, lentil soup with celery and onions, pea soup with the same and maybe a bit of ham shoulder or salt pork, would be staples, along with whole-wheat bread and other basics. There were two very pretty young ladies in an apartment across the street from me, and we became friends.
tgt
The simplest nutritious meal that is also delicious I can think of is mix a variety of breads in an instant soup mix. The result is a porriage like mix with different flavours depending on the soup. I can imagine adding some salami or what not into this mix.
Only preparation involved is to chop the bread and add bioling water.

What can you think of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can there be such a person as a deranged chain gang cook?

I'm trying to figure out how this is a nutritious meal when it involves an instant soup mix. Those are mostly salt with some added artificial colors and flavors. Do they contain anything resembling actual soup other than the water you add? But, I suspect this is why we have so many unhealthy people in the US, because somehow they've grown to believe things like packets of soup mix are nutritious foods.

Moonbear said:
I'm trying to figure out how this is a nutritious meal when it involves an instant soup mix. Those are mostly salt with some added artificial colors and flavors. Do they contain anything resembling actual soup other than the water you add? But, I suspect this is why we have so many unhealthy people in the US, because somehow they've grown to believe things like packets of soup mix are nutritious foods.
Really! It doesn't take a whole lot of work to chop some vegetables, maybe brown some ground meat with onions and garlic, and make your own soup from scratch. It's far more nutritious than processed foods, and it can be cheaper, as well.

I have a cousin who is so absolutely lazy in the kitchen that she practically raised her kids on instant soups, cup o' noodles, Kraft macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, etc. Her daughter is in fair health, but both her sons are overweight and out of shape, and one has Crohn's disease.

I agree with Moonbear and turbo - nix the instant soup which has too much salt.

Fresh vegetables and fruit are the way to go. Using onions, carrots, celery, as much as possible fresh peas, corn, beans, and other vegetable is the way to go. Add in some lean chicken, beef, pork or fish for protein.

For desert, eat fresh fruit.

Boiled chicken + brown rice + veggies on the side.

Your standard bodybuilder diet.

Can something that dosen't taste salty have too much salt in them? Plus it might be a good thing for summer eating as sports drinks contain salt in them.

The really bad part about eating really salty foods, is that you get use to the taste. You come to think of it as normal. Unless you really work out, your normal intake of salt can be met with just plain good food.

tacos

Moonbear said:
I'm trying to figure out how this is a nutritious meal when it involves an instant soup mix.

The soup is only meant to make the meal bearable. Otherwise, it would be just plain bread. Note there is no butter or anything else on the bread.

tgt said:
The soup is only meant to make the meal bearable. Otherwise, it would be just plain bread. Note there is no butter or anything else on the bread.
Get some mayonnaise, tomatoes, lettuce, and maybe some cheese and make sandwiches. Combining bread with salty over-processed instant soup does nothing for you, nutritionally. You are at risk for destroying your health unless you learn to prepare food that is fit to eat.

Spaghetti, with salad.

Grilled salmon with rice pilaf.

Red beans and rice (I've got a big pot going right now!), with salad.

Arroz con pollo.

Baked chicken and mashed potatoes, with fresh peas or green beans.

I could go on and on...

For good nutrition, it's best to cook from scratch. Then you know what exactly what you're eating.

lisab said:
Spaghetti, with salad.

Grilled salmon with rice pilaf.

Red beans and rice (I've got a big pot going right now!), with salad.

Arroz con pollo.

Baked chicken and mashed potatoes, with fresh peas or green beans.

I could go on and on...

For good nutrition, it's best to cook from scratch. Then you know what exactly what you're eating.
Many people seem to have forgotten this, Lisa. When I was in college (1970 on, OK I'm an old fart) I cooked for myself every day and made big enough batches to have left-overs. I'd make lentil soup, baked beans, breads, biscuits, spaghetti, New England boiled dinners, etc, etc. When times were lean, lentil soup with celery and onions, pea soup with the same and maybe a bit of ham shoulder or salt pork, would be staples, along with whole-wheat bread and other basics. There were two very pretty young ladies in an apartment across the street from me, and we became friends. I'd invite them for supper every week or two and they would bring HUGE appetites (for such svelte ladies) and bring a bottle or two of wine and some albums to play on my stereo. They had grown up with stay-at-home mothers who had no idea how to cook, and they thought I was a magic chef.

Last edited:
So easy to make a quick healthy meal.

Stab a sweet potato a bunch of times with a fork and cook it in the microwave for 10-12 minutes

Marinate some chicken breast in olive oil and spice with w/ salt, pepper, and any other spices that you want. Cook on grill for 10 minutes.

Eat salad or mixed fruit bowl.

astro is right, vegetables and fruits.

My teacher's mother was 101 years old when she died. She said, "I'm eating fresh vegetables everyday. I avoid eating meat."

...:uhh:

turbo-1 said:
Get some mayonnaise, tomatoes, lettuce, and maybe some cheese and make sandwiches. Combining bread with salty over-processed instant soup does nothing for you, nutritionally. You are at risk for destroying your health unless you learn to prepare food that is fit to eat.

The instant soup I am talking about is soup powder, not the ones from cans.

You think I can destroy my health by having two packets (which in turn translates to two meals after adding bread. The third meal is something proper) of instand soup a day? How is my health doing to decline?

Some people drink those soup as if drinking water.

turbo-1 said:
Many people seem to have forgotten this, Lisa. When I was in college (1970 on, OK I'm an old fart) I cooked for myself every day and made big enough batches to have left-overs. I'd make lentil soup, baked beans, breads, biscuits, spaghetti, New England boiled dinners, etc, etc. When times were lean, lentil soup with celery and onions, pea soup with the same and maybe a bit of ham shoulder or salt pork, would be staples, along with whole-wheat bread and other basics. There were two very pretty young ladies in an apartment across the street from me, and we became friends. I'd invite them for supper every week or two and they would bring HUGE appetites (for such svelte ladies) and bring a bottle or two of wine and some albums to play on my stereo. They had grown up with stay-at-home mothers who had no idea how to cook, and they thought I was a magic chef.

You are a genuis aren't you.

tgt said:
The instant soup I am talking about is soup powder, not the ones from cans.

You think I can destroy my health by having two packets (which in turn translates to two meals after adding bread. The third meal is something proper) of instand soup a day? How is my health doing to decline?

Some people drink those soup as if drinking water.
Bread is not a nutritionally balanced food, it's considered a starch. You need vegetables and fruits.

tgt said:
You are a genuis aren't you.
I am not a genius. I am a person who managed to cook for myself and keep myself healthy throughout a period during which I could have let my diet decline. You are welcome to do as you wish.

turbo-1 said:
I am not a genius. I am a person who managed to cook for myself and keep myself healthy throughout a period during which I could have let my diet decline. You are welcome to do as you wish.

I was referring to the latter part of your previous post - your social awareness. I actually know how to cook but just too lazy to do it. Although I am more inspired to do so now.

I still don't see how instant soup can damage my health. I am actually looking to lose some weight at the moment so these plain meals will do me good?

The simplest delicious and nutritional meal I can think of is a simple salad. Just toss some lettuce, spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, olives, nuts, cheese, bits of bacon, chicken, or ham, whatever, all in a bowl. Don't even need to cook. Although my problem is that I'm a glutton for dressing, particularly caesar or ranch dressing, and that can make it a little fatty.

tgt said:
Instant soup is basically salt + starch + flavouring - at least ramen noodles have some carbs as well as salt in them.

Favourite easy nutritional meal.
Fry onion and garlic, add can kidney beans, add any other cans of beans (except baked beans in tomato sauce) that are in the cupboard add can of tomatoes and some tomato puree if you have any.
Then add whatever flavouring you happen to have in the cupboard - if you have peppers it becomes veg chile, if you have herbs it becomes veg bolognaise.
Serve with rice or pasta, or pitta or naan or jacket potato.

Greatest recent discovery - you can use mushed up ripe banana instead of milk with granola/muesli - I hate milk but could never eat the stuff with water.

Evo said:
Bread is not a nutritionally balanced food, it's considered a starch. You need vegetables and fruits.

Starchy foods are the largest in the food pyramid. Although I think I'm not getting enough veges. The one propar meal I usually buy but that has more meat in it then veges.

Come to think of it, the soup is pretty salty.

Bannanas.

I know another one. Boil Noodles and 2 eggs together. After 10 min, crack open egg and sprinkle olive oil onto egg and noodle. Then add soy sauce to egg which in turn spreads into the noodles. A bit better?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Bannanas.

Not filling enough.

tgt said:
Not filling enough.

3 bannanas.

tgt said:
Starchy foods are the largest in the food pyramid. Although I think I'm not getting enough veges. The one propar meal I usually buy but that has more meat in it then veges.

Come to think of it, the soup is pretty salty.
If you want to eat healthy and lose weight, you can make your own soups very easily. Google on "lentil soup" or "bean soup" for some easy, inexpensive meals. These legumes are good for you and combined with a few other vegetables like onion, celery, carrots, etc, they can be tasty. You might also want to consider red beans and rice with other vegetables on the side, or make at least one meal a day a salad. If you snack, eat an apple or a banana. It's not hard to eat healthy, nor is it expensive.

Turbo - how do you stop home made veg soup going grey after a day?

mgb_phys said:
Turbo - how do you stop home made veg soup going grey after a day?
Going grey?

VashtiMaiden said:
astro is right, vegetables and fruits.

My teacher's mother was 101 years old when she died. She said, "I'm eating fresh vegetables everyday. I avoid eating meat."

...:uhh:
One does not have to avoid meat, but certainly limiting fatty meats is wise. My paternal grandfather lived to 103, and while his diet was based mostly on vegetables, grains and fruit, he did eat chicken, fish and pork, but in modest portions.

With regard to bread, it's best to avoid highly processed (mostly starch) breads and go with the whole grain breads. I like oatmeal and rye based breads.

Evo said:
Going grey?
I make nice veggie soup ( onions/carrots/peas/potatoes - a cople of veg stock cubes)
put the left over in the fridge and next day all the colour has leached out of the veg and the liquid is an unapplealing grey colour instead of the clear of canned veggie soup.

Keeping the air out helps but I wondered if I just didn't boil it for long enough (I ussually use a slow cooker) or if there is some chemical added to canned soup to stop this.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Going grey?
Yeah, what is "going grey"? My home-made soups last for several days at least, since I tend to make large batches, and they tend to taste even better as left-overs than they did when fresh.

mgb_phys said:
I make nice veggie soup ( onions/carrots/peas/potatoes - a cople of veg stock cubes)
put the left over in the fridge and next day all the colour has leached out of the veg and the liquid is an unapplealing grey colour instead of the clear of canned veggie soup.

Keeping the air out helps but I wondered if I just didn't boil it for long enough (I ussually use a slow cooker) or if there is some chemical added to canned soup to stop this.

What container do you use when you put the soup in the fridge?

If I just put the stockpot out of the slow cooker I think it does worse than putting everything in tupperware and excluding as much air as possible - now off to build an argon positive pressure clean box in the fridge...

<h2>1. What are the key components of a simple, delicious, and nutritious meal?</h2><p>A simple, delicious, and nutritious meal should include a balance of protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and vegetables. Examples of protein sources include lean meats, fish, tofu, beans, and legumes. Carbohydrates can come from whole grains, fruits, and starchy vegetables. Healthy fats can be found in sources such as avocado, nuts, and olive oil. Vegetables should make up the bulk of the meal and can include a variety of colors for maximum nutrient intake.</p><h2>2. How can I make a simple meal without sacrificing flavor or nutrition?</h2><p>One way to make a simple meal without sacrificing flavor or nutrition is to use herbs and spices to add flavor instead of relying on high-fat sauces or seasonings. Also, choosing whole and minimally processed ingredients can ensure that the meal is both nutritious and flavorful. For example, using fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil to season a chicken and vegetable stir-fry instead of a store-bought sauce can add both flavor and nutrients to the dish.</p><h2>3. Can I meal prep simple, delicious, and nutritious meals for the week?</h2><p>Yes, meal prepping is a great way to ensure that you have simple, delicious, and nutritious meals ready to go throughout the week. Choose recipes that can be easily batch cooked and stored in the fridge or freezer. Some examples include soups, stews, and stir-fries. You can also prep ingredients ahead of time, such as chopping vegetables or marinating meats, to save time during the week.</p><h2>4. How can I make a simple meal that is also budget-friendly?</h2><p>To make a simple meal that is budget-friendly, focus on using affordable ingredients such as beans, lentils, and frozen vegetables. These ingredients are often less expensive than their fresh counterparts but still provide a good amount of nutrients. Buying in bulk and planning meals around seasonal produce can also help save money. Additionally, using leftovers to create new meals can stretch your budget and reduce food waste.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific dietary restrictions that can be accommodated in simple, delicious, and nutritious meals?</h2><p>Yes, simple, delicious, and nutritious meals can be adapted to accommodate various dietary restrictions. For example, vegetarian and vegan options can be created by using plant-based protein sources and omitting animal products. Gluten-free meals can be made by using gluten-free grains and avoiding wheat-based ingredients. Additionally, meals can be tailored to fit specific calorie or macronutrient needs, such as low-carb or high-protein options.</p>

1. What are the key components of a simple, delicious, and nutritious meal?

A simple, delicious, and nutritious meal should include a balance of protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and vegetables. Examples of protein sources include lean meats, fish, tofu, beans, and legumes. Carbohydrates can come from whole grains, fruits, and starchy vegetables. Healthy fats can be found in sources such as avocado, nuts, and olive oil. Vegetables should make up the bulk of the meal and can include a variety of colors for maximum nutrient intake.

2. How can I make a simple meal without sacrificing flavor or nutrition?

One way to make a simple meal without sacrificing flavor or nutrition is to use herbs and spices to add flavor instead of relying on high-fat sauces or seasonings. Also, choosing whole and minimally processed ingredients can ensure that the meal is both nutritious and flavorful. For example, using fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil to season a chicken and vegetable stir-fry instead of a store-bought sauce can add both flavor and nutrients to the dish.

3. Can I meal prep simple, delicious, and nutritious meals for the week?

Yes, meal prepping is a great way to ensure that you have simple, delicious, and nutritious meals ready to go throughout the week. Choose recipes that can be easily batch cooked and stored in the fridge or freezer. Some examples include soups, stews, and stir-fries. You can also prep ingredients ahead of time, such as chopping vegetables or marinating meats, to save time during the week.

4. How can I make a simple meal that is also budget-friendly?

To make a simple meal that is budget-friendly, focus on using affordable ingredients such as beans, lentils, and frozen vegetables. These ingredients are often less expensive than their fresh counterparts but still provide a good amount of nutrients. Buying in bulk and planning meals around seasonal produce can also help save money. Additionally, using leftovers to create new meals can stretch your budget and reduce food waste.

5. Are there any specific dietary restrictions that can be accommodated in simple, delicious, and nutritious meals?

Yes, simple, delicious, and nutritious meals can be adapted to accommodate various dietary restrictions. For example, vegetarian and vegan options can be created by using plant-based protein sources and omitting animal products. Gluten-free meals can be made by using gluten-free grains and avoiding wheat-based ingredients. Additionally, meals can be tailored to fit specific calorie or macronutrient needs, such as low-carb or high-protein options.